Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2014 05:00

Continuous Beeps at startup

Hi,
I have a dell inspiron R 5520, while I try to power it ON, it does not boot up, instead, gives a continuous beep sound. The power button back-light is on, the screen is Off.

The power button has a stable white lite and number of beeps are infinite. Front panel Hard drive light runs initially, then goes off. Is it something wrong with the Hard drive?

I have to turn it off and on many times in order to run windows properly.

I have all diagnostic tests from startup and also from Windows 7 MyDell diagnosis, but my system passed all hardware and memory tests.

The number of beeps is infinite i guess (I counted till 25). Can anyone please tell me what the problem could be?

Thanks and regards,

7 Posts

October 15th, 2014 08:00

> The power button has a stable white lite and number of beeps are infinite. Front panel Hard drive light
> runs initially, then goes off. 

I think I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 15 3521 (late 2012). I don't think it's a problem with the hard drive, as a Dell tech had me remove the hard drive and try to boot up the laptop, but it did the exact same thing (infinite beeps, black screen, status lights same as yours). I strongly suspect that something comes apart inside, maybe the LCD screen connection is loose, or some other internal wiring problem. That could cause the computer to not get far enough into its Power On Self Test to allow me to get into the BIOS. 

I'll be purchasing a 2.5in SATA-to-USB hard drive enclosure so I can back up my data to another PC. If the hard drive is dead, then obviously I won't be able to transfer my data to the other PC. But I suspect that the hard drive is okay. 

Did you try to back up your data? Did you send your laptop into Dell Support? I hope the issue was resolved without too much inconvenience. Let us know what happened, if you can. 

--

No Events found!