Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2015 04:00

Creating Dell factory backup will delete all other data from this drive

I'd like to create a factory backup disk to the Dell laptop that I recently aquired (Inspiron 14). I want to save this factory backup on an external WD flash drive (that has 500GB). This disk contains, already 100GB of other personal data.

My question is: will the process of creating factory disk delete all other data on that drive (I don't want that to happend of course) or it will create the Image disk in addition to the other data the in this disk?? 
Dell's wizard said that the factory data requires only 9.2GB so there's plenty of space for all the data together.

related question

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2015 05:00

The answer is yes, it will delete all data from the drive.  SInce you can now easily buy a 16G USB flash drive for as little as $7-10, that's the way to go - you can dedicate the flash drive to the task and store it in a safe place.

2 Posts

OK, thanks. 

I'll use this apportunity to ask also - what about creating Rescue Disk - will it also delete all the data from the dedicated drive?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If you mean a Windows system repair disc, yes - that too will wipe out the target media (which can be a blank CD/DVD or a USB flash drive).

No Events found!