Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 18th, 2009 20:00

Cursor jumps around when typing

This has been happening when typing emails in Outlook. It will be interesting to see if it happens while typing this. So far it's been OK. I have a Dell XPS M1530. There it did it just then, the 1530 jumped into the subject field. It always jumps into somewhere I have already typed. So it doesn't just happen in Outlook. It is very annoying. I am using a Bluetooth mouse, but also there is a touchpad just under my hands. Could it be that I bump it by mistake?

I don't know it that's the problem as the touchpad cursor is different to the typing cursor. I'm watching the touchpad cursor and it's not moving. The typing cursor is behaving itself now. I have just moved the touchpad cursor up the screen a bit and the typing cursor is still behaving itself. Sorry about all this running commentary on what's happening, but it was misbehaving before and now it's not.

Does anyone have any clues on this problem? While I am typing my hands are well clear of the touchpad. It just jumped again, and it did not jump to where the touchpad cursor was, so it's not related to that.

1 Message

April 12th, 2013 22:00

Totally agree.  Waitedalong time for a newlaptop and this is just awful!

Space bar does not work consistently. And the text jumps around at free will. At first Ithought it was my fault. Adjusted the keyboard settings anddisabled most o the touchpad settings.  But it still keeps happening.  The worst keyboardever!!

SEE HOW THESE WORDS ARE RUNNING INTOGETHER?  ITYPE ALL THE TIME FOR WORK AND THIS IS NOT DUE TOME!! 

Also - the <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> text keeps jumping over the screen.  Oneminute I'm typing here and the next I'm sticking works into sentencesthat Ityped previously. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character  removed as per TOU>?

Once again, the "Dell Advantage"  ??!!

5 Posts

April 16th, 2013 01:00

@nycbabs try Touchguard or the Synaptics driver ( www.synaptics.com/.../drivers )

Both are able to switch of the Touchpad. Although it's crazy that we need it since the Touchpad on any laptop should simply work.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2013 07:00

I haven't had this problem with my Toshiba or Mac or any other laptop I have ever used....if you get my drift.  

Lazy wrists.  Give me a break.

1 Message

April 24th, 2013 23:00

Yes, I have had problem in typing in my DELL Inspiron 3520 Laptop. After downloading  TocuhFreeze from  http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/ and installing it, I believe, this problem has been resolved. Thanks Tocuhfreeze Developers!

1 Message

April 28th, 2013 15:00

I just tried that. I am having trouble still. That's though.

May 5th, 2013 01:00

Thanks as was able to solve the ever disgusting problem of letters jumping all over while typing,Not any longer and thanks I followed up your steps to trouble shoot and Voila it worked,Thank heaven for the much needed relief.Thanks again.Cheers!

1 Message

May 20th, 2013 13:00

Dell Pointing Stick Problem Solved:

On my Latitude E6410, I disabled the Pointing Stick in the Keyboard (now that I know what it is called) by downloading the Alps TouchPad Drivers for my computer.  I installed the software and then went to the directory where it was written.  There are 32 and 64 bit directories for Win7, so I chose the one appropriate for my machine.

There is an application called DellTPad.exe which, when executed, will let you disable the pointing stick.  You may have to run this app as an Admin, but it worked for me.  No more cursor jumping all over the place while typing!

5 Posts

May 21st, 2013 02:00

Would be nice to receive a notification of a solution solving the actual disfunction of the touchpad in the first place. I've seen a several (very helpful) solutions now to disable the whole toughpad but no reaction whatsoever that fixes this by the root.

Dell? Where are you?

18 Posts

May 21st, 2013 06:00

No kidding Drbilly. I got a "Dell" flyer in snail mail yesterday. "Carolyn. We miss you" All the want is $$. Who cares about the Touch Pad fix. Right What a sad selfish joke!!

May 25th, 2013 09:00

I hope you've solved this problem, as this post was last year, but I had the same problem. I down-loaded a new touch pad driver; this enable me to be able to decrease the touchpad sensitivity; problem solved

good luck; I know how this can drive you crazy!

2 Posts

May 26th, 2013 23:00

the problem with this now you have to use the left botton in stead of the convienent tap.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 02:00

Mokter you have save a new dell from certain death from being trown from a high building. Thank you Touchfreeze !

2 Posts

July 24th, 2013 13:00

my touchpad is not available in the control panel, I upgraded the driver, still not there.  Cursor jumps around.  I am a little frustrated.   Vostro 3560 with Windows 8 Pro  

2 Posts

July 24th, 2013 13:00

touchpad shows as a tab under the mouse control panel icon.  However, it does not allow any access to touchpad controls.  Says click here but nothing happens to allow changes or selection.  No disable when mouse installed or any of the like..  Cursor jumping....

18 Posts

July 24th, 2013 15:00

It AMAZES Me  that these conversations are still going on and how  Dell can sit back and watch  all this unfold and do Nothing  to fix  a problem they have created. Oh and charging me 150$ Tech Support  right out of the box. Saying   the jumping cursor was a Software issue & not  the Hardware (thus software  not covered under warranty)  Dell you ripped me off and i want my $$ back!!

I bought an hp laptop  his year  and very happy with it! My cursor isn't jumping  anymore! 

No Events found!