Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 16th, 2008 01:00

Customizing an XPS M1530 - What is an "Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition"?

Hi all! While customizing the XPS M1530, I was given 4 choices for audio. The given one is simply "High Definition Audio 2.0." Then there is the "Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition" which sounds pretty cool and I want to get. Then there are the other 2 which I ignored because I'm not looking to get external speakers. I want a hardware that can play high quality sound installed inside my laptop and can function with no external hardware. So, does the Integrated Sound Blaster thing require an external set of speakers? Or can it function from within the laptop? Thanks in advance!

4.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 03:00

It functions through the internal speakers, but keep in mind the sound coming from any laptop (no matter the sound card device) is not going to be very good due to the small size of the internal speakers.  You will much improve the sound by indeed connecting to some external speakers, but that can be done later after you have determined if the internal speakers sound good enough to you.  I sincerely doubt they will.

By the way, the Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition is an upgrade to the standard integrated audio sound chip on the motherboard.  It is an improvement over the standard device but will not help much with the internal speakers.  External speakers, yes.

December 16th, 2008 04:00

By the way, if I choose to get the default sound version and I  later change my mind to get the upgraded version, could I make this change manually by buying the necessary parts, as if I'm building my own PC? Thanks once again for your help!

December 16th, 2008 04:00

Thank you for your reply! Just what I was looking for :D

4.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 06:00

With laptops it is generally best to order the low cost upgrade now, such as the SB Audigy you have your eye on.  You can easily add a USB sound card later though if desired.  Best of luck with the new computer!

No Events found!