Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

DELL Inspiron 1525 not booting. Blinking blue lights.

However, the blinking lights are NOT on those three lights in the top near the power button.

First light is on the AC Power Cable blue light ribbon (near where it connects to the laptop)

Second light is the green light of the DVD-ROM

Third light is the first light (energy?) of the 5 lights on the botton left of the keyboard.

It doesnt boot either with the AC cable pluged or unplugged, nor with the battery connected or disconnected.

ps: the lights start blinking as soon as I plug the AC Power cable. No need to press the power button... and in fact, pressing it changes nothing.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 14:00

Hi RogerPenna,

Remove all the external peripherals, the power cable and battery from the laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. This process will drain all the static energy from the computer.

Connect the AC-Adapter and battery to the laptop and power it on. Check if the keyboard Lock LEDs lights to the left of power button starts blinking. If they are blinking, check the pattern of the Lock LED's when the system is powered on and let me know in the below format:

E.g. “ON-FLASH-FLASH” or “ON-FLASH-ON” or “OFF-FLASH-FLASH”.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 14:00

Hi DELL-NIKHIL D

Followed those steps. Removed power cable and battery. I held the power button for some 30 seconds to be sure.

Connected battery and power cable again. Same thing as before. The keyboard lock LEDs dont blink, the laptop doesnt turn on. As soon as I connect the power cable, the DVDROM light, the cable light and the power light on the lower left keyboard start blinking again :(

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi RogerPenna,

Try to reseat the memory in the system and then check if the system is powering on. If it is not switching on try to switch on the system with only one memory in it at a time.

Please refer this link to reseat the memory: http://bit.ly/Sl1m5z

Please post the results.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2013 04:00

Sorry Dell-Nikhil, I don´t really get what you mean with reseting the memory. Do you mean removing the ram memory modules then connecting them again?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi RogerPenna,

I would like you to switch on the computer by removing both the memory sticks and check if the system is beeping, please include the number of beeps in the reply.

To isolate the problem between the memory sticks and the motherboard, please follow the below mentioned steps:

Restart the system with only one memory in slot A and check if the system is starting. Switch off the computer, remove the 1st memory from the slot A and put in the 2nd memory in slot A and restart the system, check if the system is switching on with second memory and check the memory stick which is not working or check if slot A is working or not.

Repeat the same process with both the memory sticks in memory slot B.

Please reply with results for further help.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2013 14:00

"I would like you to switch on the computer by removing both the memory sticks and check if the system is beeping, please include the number of beeps in the reply."

Hi Nikhil. I removed both memory sticks and connected the power supply again, WITH and WITHOUT the battery inserted. The result was the same, with or without the battery inserted.

As soon as I connect the power cable, those 3 lights (power, green dvd light and the power cable light) start blinking (they blink about every 0.8 seconds)

The only difference from before is that now, when I connect the power cable, I can hear a small sound every 10 seconds, a very fast small "rasp" sound like that of a HD writing, but I cannot pinpoint it. However, maybe I am only hearing it now because I left the bottom of the laptop open after removing the memory, so maybe it´s only "easier" to hear it.

I will now try it with only ONE memory slot filled. Then edit and post the reply.

EDIT: ok, inserted only one memory stick at a time at slot A and slot B. (4 different configurations). Still the same thing. :(

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 24th, 2013 18:00

Hi RogerPenna,

Based on the description the issue appears to be with the motherboard, I suggest you to contact expired warranty services (this is for US based customers) to know the costs involved: http://dell.to/17PHgJD

Or you can also purchase the motherboard online/local store at a cost effective price.

1 Message

July 28th, 2014 04:00

I have an Inspiron 1525.  What are the three blue lights (padlocks) to the left of the power button?  The first light, which is a padlock with the number "9" on it, is always on.  I don't recall that it used to be always on.  It is confusing because it looks like the caps lock is on but I know the caps lock is the second blue light with an "A" on it to the left of the power button and it only comes on when I hit the caps lock button.  What is the third blue light to the left of the power button?  It is so small and is not lighted up right now so I can't read the inscription on it.  The user manual does not explain these three buttons.  Thanks for your help.

No Events found!