Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2013 14:00

DELL LAPTOP, FREEZES ON STARTING WINDOWS SCREEN

So when i start it up it asks to run the repair or start normally, both of them eventually take me to the Starting Winodws screen and freezes. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5040. I dont have any windows discs but i tried to use a windows xp disc to boot the computer from the CD Drive and it wouldnt work. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance :)

3.1K Posts

Hi pelichjohn,

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

Please share the findings.

5 Posts

Thank you, I ran the diagnostics and it said there was no known issue with my system but that there was another couple test that would take 30 minutes or so, so im running those too but so far it cant find any harware issues =/

5 Posts

July 24th, 2013 17:00

So the test finished and found nothing wrong with the hardware... Any suggestions? Any discs i can use to wipe the computer and put new windows on maybe?

5 Posts

July 24th, 2013 18:00

I Tried that and it just brought me back to the screen with repair computer or start normally, and they both do nothing. I then tried pressing f8 again and at the menu selecting System restore config or whatever, and then it eventually froze on a blank screen >.< I tried starting in last know good config that also didnt work.

5 Posts

I tried to start in safe mode and the last file that it froze on was \windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS

3.1K Posts

Hi pelichjohn,

Try to perform PC restore using the following steps:
Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

• Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

3.1K Posts

July 25th, 2013 16:00

Hi pelichjohn,

You may provide the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the further course of action.

1 Message

April 4th, 2015 11:00

Hello I have tried the above solution initially it worked but after the 30 min test ,nothing changed.I mean that the screen stayed on the pre reboot assessment and nothing changed after 30 min.it was as if freezed on that screen itself..please suggest some solution.has my laptop crashed???is there a possibility???

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 07:00

please i have the same issue too my DELL LAPTOP, FREEZES ON STARTING WINDOWS SCREEN

No Events found!