Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 21st, 2017 13:00

Del Inspiron 5559 modum slow

Brand new, less than a month old.

Very slow download/upload. Using Ethernet connection, ran speedtest.net and it shows almost 20% slower than my other laptop (other laptop not connected at same time. Ran separately after disconnecting Dell.

Very frustrated with Dell. Phone support not helpful and rude.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 21st, 2017 15:00

You have to be careful when trying to compare network speeds with different computers.  If you are using Ethernet with equal capabilities, there are other things, like anti-virus or firewall utilities which could be involved.

The speeds of computer networks is usually much faster than the capability of an ISP.  If you are seeing a 20% difference, it may be the interaction between the new system and your router, as was mentioned.  I have gotten several firmware updates on my ASUS router in the last couple of years so you might check yours.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 21st, 2017 15:00

The computer doesn't have a modem. That is part of your Internet Service Provider hardware. You must mean your network connection. Laptop should use a wireless connection to a wireless router, not ethernet. But the connection speed is controlled by your ISP and other hardware--modem, router. Contact your provider to see how to set up your wireless router with your laptops. If you don't have a wireless router buy one since all your hardware can be online at the same time. The modem from your provider connects to the router and the computers access the Internet thru your wireless router.  

14 Posts

May 21st, 2017 16:00

Brand new router from provider.

. Brand new computer.

Computer slow performance in booting, opening files, etc. And  now Internet access so slow can't be used.. Shouldnt be a problem to use ethernet on laltop. I use ethernet when home and wireless when traveling. Slow either way.

I compare to other computers to make sure Internet working. Seems too coincidental that laptop is slow in every way I attempt to use.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 21st, 2017 19:00

:emotion-2:

I've seen your other thread in the Disk Drives.

Inspiron 15 5559 SMART short test timed out - Disk Drives ...

Please run diagnostic tool to check the hard drive on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. After quick tests, click on hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

cli

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 08:00

Any updates Sumni ? Diagnostic pick up any error code such as 2000-0142 ?

14 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 13:00

no error code, i nfact it says everything passed.

I just ran another speed test side by side with my laptops. My old laptop gets 81 DL and 11 upload - this new Dell gets 37 DL and 6 upload. That is less than half the speed. Besides running slow on boot and running slow to open programs it slows down internet access.

What bloatware is on this machine that is causing this. This is unacceptable for a new machine.

14 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 13:00

And I ran the test you suggested, I have run system analysis and passed Ran defrag analysis and only at 2% Ran CC Cleaner as was recommended by another Dell post. Very frustrating.

Reading other reviews, seems that others having same problem.

Dell built and sold an expensive paperweight.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 17:00

If none of troubleshooting steps above didn't fix the slowness problem:

* Type Troubleshooting onto search box, click "View All", and then Network Adapter troubleshooter. Run Window Update, System Maintenance, windows Store Apps, Incoming Connections and Internet Connections as well.

* Disable some of the programs running in Startup(Task Manager)

* When the computer is running slow or crashing a lot, use the Processes tab(Task Manager) to identify which programs are consuming more Memory, Disk and Network in real time. Please click link below:

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support ...

Keep an eye out for the CPU and Disk - Task Manager) being around 100%. This will cause the PC to slow down or even crash.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 17:00

I have a few suggestions:

*If McAfee is on the system, uninstall it and go with Windows Defender

* Download and run the free version of Malwarebytes - Official Site. It's the best for getting rid of nasty malwares that slow down and causes a lot of problems on a computer.

* Check and see if all the latest windows updates are installed on system: Type Check For Updates onto [Cortana] search box, and then select "Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. Also check "Update History' for any failed updates.  

* If you're using the Ethernet (Network), make sure WIFI is turn off: Type Settings onto search box, Network & Internet, turn off WIFI.

* Update Chipset, Network (Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Controller) and Video drivers on the system. Run the Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. It will automatically detect driver updates for your system. Please follow steps to run Guide Me option in link below;

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

14 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 22:00

No problems found on up on Troubleshooter search.

I'm a fan of TaskManager and routinely check for anything eating space. The biggest offenders appear to be Dell help and other Dell services. Have turned off, disabled or set to manual most of these.

Seems to help a little.

Thank you

14 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 22:00

Thanks for your suggestions>

Uninstalled McAfee when I first started using computer.

Previously installed and ran Malwarebytes. Nothing found.

Everything up to date

Using one one - either Ethernet or WiFi

still slow

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 10:00

:emotion-2:

I see DELL-Akshatha M and Dell - Brad L reply to your questions in Disk Drive and Software & Operating Systems. Hopefully your computer works normally in the very near future. Thanks for the update.

14 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 23:00

It continues.

Now I get pop ups saying I'm disconnected from the internet and will connect soon.

I'm connected Ethernet and when I check all systems are ok except for this computer.

And I consistently get dead pages saying my computer is making a Network change?

I have spend so much time troubleshooting that I can't do my actual work.

14 Posts

May 26th, 2017 17:00

All day this computer has been falling off the internet. I check my other devices and none of them show any problem with the internet. This one is connected Ethernet most of the time. Even when it is WiFi it is producing error messages that say:"There is no internet connection" or "This site can'

t be reached, it too to long to respond". Then a reboot and I can get back online and back to the site with no problem - for about 15 minutes.

I have one browser window open. ONly one device on the internet at a time. My Task Manager is showing 8% CPU, 40% Memory and 8% disk, so it can't be overload.

Grrr...

May 30th, 2017 11:00

Hi Sumni - I also have a Dell Inspiron 15 5559, which I believe is very similar to yours. (Core i7, 12GB, 1TB 5400RPM HDD)

I immediately noticed the slowness you are talking about and I had other problems with the laptop when I first tried it: the SD card slot wasn't working, the brightness of the LCD screen would not adjust, and hard drive access seemed to be very slow for such a new, advanced laptop.

I know from experience that one MUST make sure BIOS and drivers are updated. So here's what I found:

1) There is a BIOS update needed for the machine. It is only one version later, but it seemed to help.

2) There are four drivers that need to be updated. I used www.dell.com/support, logged in with the service tag and chose "look for driver updates". There are four important driver updates for the machine that you need to download and install from the support website, they make the chipset work better.

3) My hard drive is very slow. I got the Toshiba MQ01ABD100.  It has ONLY AN 8 MB CACHE and is a SATA 3Gb/sec drive! (Your laptop can use a 6Gb/sec SATA drive)

Drives like this usually have 64MB or 128MB cache, so this drive is going to have VERY poor performance. (If you look it up on Newegg, it's only $49.99!)  Worse yet, the slow speed doesn't show up well on the Perf Meter application - you just get a "% number".

4) My Inspiron has 12GB in an 8GB and a 4GB SODIMM. That means the Skylake CPU system cannot read the RAM in interleaved mode, which is a much faster way to read and write to RAM.

What this all means is that our fantastic, superb new laptops are being dragged down by old BIOS, old drivers, SLOW hard drive and sub-optional RAM configuration. The Dell support folks in this forum thread are doing a great job of trying to help you, but they can't really say these things. I'm just a customer (and long-time IT system admin), so I can call it as I see it.

The value proposition for the Inspiron 15 Model 5559 is very good: this is a name brand, quality product. I don't wish to send mine back to Dell or otherwise discard it: I plan to fix the slow points and see what happens.

My plan is to exchange the 1TB Toshiba drive for a 512GB SSD and to exchange the 4GB DIMM for the correct 8GB DIMM. Then I'll install Linux and see how well things work. If I have time, I'll benchmark before-and-after.

I am planning this work sometime in the next three or four days. Would you like me to report my results back to this forum thread?

No Events found!