Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2014 11:00

Dell 14R (N4010) RAM Upgrade Problems

Hi

I recently upgraded my Dell 14r (N4010) to Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I also ordered and fitted 2x 4GB DDR3 sticks of RAM - This upgrade is listed on Dell's website as being an optional upgrade.

Having fitted both sticks, i boot up the machine to have it NOT boot into windows...

BIOS see's the RAM and both Spotmau and Hirens Boot disk see that 8GB of RAM is installed, however the windows loading screen just appears, but as soon as the coloured glass squares try to appear the machine will either..

1)Reboot itself…. and repeat, or
2)BSOD with IRQ_NOT_EQUAL or FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA - (Don't quote me on the exact wording as i forgot to write it down, but am very close)

So, thinking it was faulty RAM, i re-ordered another 8GB or RAM (2x 4GB sticks) and tried again… again nothing, will not boot into windows.

I have updated the BIOS, i have checked many Googled links - none of which seem to have an answer...

Anyone else had this problem or is there away of fixing this problem?

Many thanks in advance

94 Posts

February 24th, 2014 11:00

Have you tried booting the computer with just one RAM memory installed? That's what I would do. If that works then try installing the other one. If it fails again....you may simply be installing too much RAM memory. I believe your laptop is sold with 2GB of RAM. You may be better off with (2) 2GB RAM memory. If you have the one that's sold with 4GB of RAM then there may be a problem with the compatibility of the RAM that you purchased. It happens....all the time.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2014 13:00

Yes, i tried both sticks individually, in both slots, and no change... both old sticks work fine in either combination.

Dell quite clearly lists the 8GB RAM upgrade and clearly lists the specifics of said RAM, i have also tried both Kingston and Crucial memory (having checked on Crucial's website for compatibility, and i have never had an issue with RAM purchased from both retailers that i bought these sticks from.

Anyone know if this is a fault with Dell machine?

Thanks for your advice though..

:)

3 Posts

March 6th, 2014 12:00

Just to let anyone else know, who might have had this problem, the solution was the wrong manufacturer of RAM chips... BOTH Kingston and Crucial failed to work on the machine, but Samsung worked fine!

Thanks for  all the...... .... .....  

well thanks for nothing really...

2 Posts

October 19th, 2015 21:00

Im also having the same problem. Ive used adata 4 gb ram. But my laptop is not booting..please help me someone

No Events found!