Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2015 12:00

Dell 15 5558 clickpad drivers ?

I've recentrly acquired a DELL 15 5558 laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled. The touchpad worked fine, multi-gestures worked aswell. I've decided to install Windows 10 (Dell support page says it's supported). The problem is that Windows won't recognize my clickpad as a clickpad. Instead it shows as PS/2  compatible mouse. On DELL's support page for my specific model, the only drivers for mouse are for Logitech Unified dongle. I've searched for windows updates, tried installing Synaptics drivers, but no luck... I've tried installing Windows 8.1, hoping it will auto-detect my clickpad but unfortunately it came to the same result... PS/2 mouse. Can anyone help me on this matter ?

I was hoping for a DELL app, to easily enable/disable the touchpad if needed (if attaching external mouse, because there are no keyboard shortcuts for it) but unfortunately the DELL driver and software support is the poorest I've ever seen... I chose DELL hoping for quality laptopts but it seems I was wrong...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 8th, 2015 13:00

Dell supports the operating system that was factory installed and that was not win 10. It would have been better to install the supported windows 8.1 first and upgrade for free to windows 10. 

If you installed windows 10 without buying the license, do a custom install of windows 8.1 now so you can delete win 10 partition during the win 8 install, then activate it and update it. Then install all the windows 8.1 drivers in the proper order. 

Windows 10 is free upgrade if you have windows 8.1 activated and installed. If you don't have windows you will be nagged to purchase the license.

9 Posts

August 8th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the reply. I've done exactly that, installed 8.1 first, but it also detected my clickpad as PS/2 Compatible mouse.  I did not expect that Dell will not support Windows platform if i buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled... Anyway, i guess that they use a specific manufacturer's multi-touch touchpad, so those drivers would be compatible on any laptop that uses that touchpad. I've searched for a dell app to configure multi touch gestures... but guess what... found none.

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 11:00

Bless your soul, Marius, for posting. The same problem has been driving me crazy since I bought my Inspiron 5558 with Windows 8.1 installed. Soon after buying, I noticed in System Information that the mouse appeared as simply as a PS/2 touchpad device and not as Dell Touchpad. Thinking that was easiy solvable, I downloaded the driver from Dell support for my service tag and ran it. To my surprise it did not work. In the Device Manager it comes up as code 10 error for being "unable to start the device". I tried various other ways as suggested in forums where people who have had issue with Dell Touchpad posted solutions. Nothing worked! Subsequently, I upgraded to Windows 10. And the problem remains as it was in the native configuration.I am currently making do with the generic driver, but this issue is driving me nuts.

I wonder if Dell will care to sort the problem out.

9 Posts

August 13th, 2015 12:00

Hi Seingeist, i am somewhat happy that my unit is not the fault but Dell's lack of support, and sorry that you have the same frustrating issue... Since i bought the laptopt i am searching and trying different Synaptics drivers, but none of them work. I have no ideea how to contact  Dell with this matter, because when i called to a number they said that my Service tag is for enterprise call center to handle but the number they gave me was no working. As a curiosity, did you laptop come with Windows logo on it (below the keyboard) or Ubuntu ? I tought that this laptop was made just with Ubuntu support, but now i highly doubt it. 

37 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 16:00

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 route. Upgrade worked fine, but it's the same issue for me on the touchpad. Just seen as generic mouse, no gestures, etc.

Interested to see if a solution to this is found. The laptop is < 3 months old for goodness sake!

Update 08/24/2015: Gesture options show up now under Settings > Devices > Mouse & touchpad > Touchpad. Don't know when they "appeared", but seem to be working fine. Mysterious...but issue addressed!

9 Posts

September 9th, 2015 02:00

Hi,  found a fix here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19651794/20818980#20818980. It works perfect on Windows 10 64bits with the corresponding drivers. Enjoy.

No Events found!