Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2013 13:00

Dell 15 7000 issues (audio, screen, trackpad)

Hi, I recently purchased a Dell 15 7000 and wanted to write about 3 issues I've had so far. I'm unsure if it is a hardware, or OS issue, but maybe you can help me figure out.

Firstly, the audio is always fuzzy when using headphones or earphones. Speakers work fine, but with all of the headphones and earphones I've used to test, the audio is always fuzzy. This isn't normal on other Dell products (and others) I've used. What's the problem and how can it be fixed?

SOLVED Secondly, I THINK this started after the windows 8.1 update, but I don't remember. My display turns off as normal (setting set to: turn display off after 3 minutes) but the problem is when I try to move the mouse or touch the screen to turn it back on. The screen just doesn't turn on. The laptop still has all the processes running (I can tell, by plugging in a USB and hearing the notification for USB insertion, sometimes my music continues to play even when the screen is stuck from turning back on). Pressing the power button just puts the computer to sleep, but when I turn it back on, it shows the Dell Boot screen, but then goes back to black. One solution I've found to that was to force shut down by holding the power button. VERY irritating. Another solution was the change the screen time-out time, but I would prefer if my screen were able to save power by turning off the display without getting stuck on a black screen. 

SOLVED Thirdly, and most irritating, the track pad is TERRIBLE!! Clicking functions work fine, but the two-finger scrolling is completely glitched (hardware or software/driver issue?) The issue is that when I'm using two fingers to scroll down a page, it shoots me to the bottom of the page OFTEN as if the END button was pressed. If it helps, when I turn on reverse scroll, the two finger scrolling the takes me all the way to the top as if the HOME function was pressed. I'm afraid to uninstall the driver because I don't want to lose the finger gesture functions by installing another driver that isn't compatible. Inertia scrolling is disabled* Even when scrolling gently, this happens.

If anybody has solutions for these issues, please let me know.

EDIT:

More problems that I have run into worth mentioning. The WiFi would consistently disconnect and reconnect to my University's internet. Sometimes it wouldn't reconnect and just say "Windows is taking a longer time than usual to connect" and ultimately give me limited, non-working connection to the internet. A recent update to the WiFi driver fixed the problem and I have yet to have any internet issues thus far. Dell is notorious, at least from my experiences, for its glitch trackpads and unstable wifi. I'm glad they fixed at least one thing! 

(Not really an issue anymore) ANOTHER issue I have encountered (most likely a software problem) is that after unplugging the charger from my laptop, the power options automatically switch to power saver, even if I had high performance selected. This happens every time I unplug my laptop. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but what happens is that when it goes to power saver, it reverts  to the "turn display off in 3 minutes when unplugged" setting, which causes my screen to turn black, which ultimately leaves me with the problem stated above, about the screen getting stuck on black. 

I have countered the problem by changing "advance power options" and changing the "power saver mode" to turn display off in 31 minutes. Usually, it reverts back to 3 minutes every time I turn the computer on.

More details: the audio issue described initially is present with both headphones, earphones, and earbuds. I've used beats headphones, apple earphones, and generic earbuds to test the fuzzy audio sound and with each of those, the fuzz is still present.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 12:00

Hello,

I just purchased this computer and have the exact some problems, except for the headphone issue (but I just haven't used headphones yet). For your second issue, that happens to me whenever I leave the computer open long enough to sleep. I just close it whenever I walk away from it now so that won't happen. 

The third issue you listed is incredibly annoying. I've resorted to just using the touchscreen to scroll because it would happen to me every single time I try to scroll through any webpage, word document, visual studio, windows explorer, etc. 

I hope there are better solutions than the workarounds that I've been using...

5 Posts

November 4th, 2013 14:00

Glad to hear that my problem isn't only on my computer. Hope there is a solution soon.

I have updated the original posts with more issues I have encountered as of recent. 

2 Posts

November 6th, 2013 18:00

Just found the fix. These drivers may also help with the other issues too but I haven't finished downloading them all yet so I'm not positive. Just look for the driver that says "Mouse, Keyboard, and Input Devices" to fix the touchpad issues. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15-7537

5 Posts

November 7th, 2013 07:00

Thank you, that fixed the track pad problem!

1 Message

November 12th, 2013 19:00

I'm having the same issues on the 17 7000. The audio quality is terrible when coming from the built-in speakers. It sounds as if you were playing music off an old Nokia phone - reverberated. In fact i was asked it i was playing music off my phone when it was coming from the laptop. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. 

The touchpad issue is really the biggest problem for me. I've tried to figure out a way to touch it so that it doesnt jump up and down but it was to no avail.

I'm downloading the same drivers you've posted and I will see how it goes. It really frustrating isnt it.  

4 Posts

November 17th, 2013 22:00

Just got the 7000 15 and have the buzz in the headphones as well as the screen not coming back after being shutdown by the power settings.  A not so good work around it to just shut the screen and reopen it.  This makes the video come back without having to do a hard power down out of windows.  Think this could be a video driver or possible BIOS issue.

Getting another new replacement due to this one arriving with 2 out pixels.  My guess is it will have the same video blank after 5 minute timeout issue.  The rest of the unit is up and running just no video.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2013 12:00

Have had the same trackpad and screen issues on my 7737, the new driver fixed the scrolling thank god! However would love a fix for the screen issue, really frustrating when I have unsaved work or open web pages and I have to do a hold power shut down and restart, very frustrating!

November 28th, 2013 02:00

Hey everyone, hope this is helpful.

I just got the same laptop, and had the exact same problems (haven't tested the headphones yet so I can't speak about that)

I solved the trackpad problem the same way that you guys listed, now it's working great.

I was ready to take the dang laptop back if I couldn't fix the screen going off, but what I ended up doing was going to the actual intel website to get their drivers for the intel HD Graphics. The driver that they had for our hardware was SIGNIFICANTLY newer than what dell has here (as of 11/27/13). Now my screen goes on and off without a problem.

Hope that this helps you guys out :) I don't know if you feel the same way, but it's incredibly irritating to me that I pay a thousand dollars for a laptop and then have to update the drivers manually to get it to work two days after opening the box...

1 Message

December 22nd, 2013 07:00

Did you ever find out a fix for the hissing sound through headphones?

1 Message

January 10th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

I bought my 15" 7537 Inspiron : 16gb ram and upgraded nvidia gforce.

Screen:

Has anyone else had issues with the screen display brightness?  Sometimes my laptop has issues maintaining a steady screen brightness, it most noticeable at 1 notch above the lowest brightness.  The screen toggles between a high and low setting automatically.  Is this a hardware or software issue?

Mouse: 

The mouse curser is not visible after turning on my computer from sleep mode many times. Thankfully this is a touch screen laptop so I can save my existing work and then shutdown and restart.  however in the long run this would be very troublesome.  Has this been and issue for anyone else?

1 Message

March 16th, 2014 02:00

This driver soved the display problem.

http://www.notebook-driver.com/goto/?url=http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01546145M/3/VGA_INTEL_W84_X07_Setup-D4MXC_ZPE.exe

5 Posts

March 21st, 2014 13:00

Hi there, 

I was told the problem was within the motherboard...that electrical currents caused the hissing. So I got that replaced within the warranty period, but the problem was still there. It seemed a little better when it was newly replaced, but the issue is still apparent now. Just something we have to get used to......

1 Message

March 27th, 2014 05:00

I was able to reduce the hissing noise by a half by using Windows built-in drivers instead of the ones provided by DELL. As a side effect all OEM customizations are lost but at least it works better... Also using headphones with higher impedance will nearly eliminate the hissing (note that high impedance headphones may not work properly with portable devices).

May 2nd, 2014 03:00

Hello,

I received my Inspiron 15 7537 this week and I'm experiencing the same issues with the screen and brightness. Are you also unable to change the brightness through the keybaord buttons? Have you found a fix yet? 

May 7th, 2014 17:00

Same laptop same problem!!! I am talking about te screen brigthness... it gets on my nerves soooo much and I havent heard that many people with the same problem. Have you found a solution for it yet? I think its more annoying than the screen not turning back on...

Luckily I shouldn't complain tooo much, the one thing that is working for me is wifi.. (knock wood)

No Events found!