Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2013 19:00

Dell 2420 Laptop loses wifi connection after hibernation - windows 8

I have a Dell 2420 laptop with Windows 8, and it loses the wifi connection after going into hibernation.  I am forced to restart the computer everytime it hibernates in order to get back onto the wifi network.  None of my other wireless devices do this.  I installed the latest network drivers from the Dell website a few weeks ago.

953 Posts

May 31st, 2013 01:00

Hi,

This issue might occur due to the power plan settings for Wireless Adapter in Windows 8. Follow the steps below to change the power plan to “Maximum Performance”:

1. Press "Windows Key+X" and open "Control Panel" and type “power” in search box at the top right.
  2. Press Enter and then go to current power plan.
  3. Open “change plan settings” and then “advanced power settings”.
  4. Open “Wireless Adapter Settings”.
  5. Navigate to “Power Saving Mode”.
  6. Select the option to “Maximum Performance”.
  7. Press "OK".

Also, uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” of the wireless adapter. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Press "Windows Key+X" and open "Device Manager".
  2. Then right click "Network Adapters".
  3. Click "Properties" and then choose "Power Management" tab.
  4. Uncheck the option which says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
  5. Click "OK" and exit the "Device Manager".

Do reply with results.

11 Posts

May 31st, 2013 19:00

Hi,

This issue might occur due to the power plan settings for Wireless Adapter in Windows 8. Follow the steps below to change the power plan to “Maximum Performance”:

1. Press "Windows Key+X" and open "Control Panel" and type “power” in search box at the top right.
  2. Press Enter and then go to current power plan.
  3. Open “change plan settings” and then “advanced power settings”.
  4. Open “Wireless Adapter Settings”.
  5. Navigate to “Power Saving Mode”.
  6. Select the option to “Maximum Performance”.
  7. Press "OK".

Also, uncheck the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” of the wireless adapter. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Press "Windows Key+X" and open "Device Manager".
  2. Then right click "Network Adapters".
  3. Click "Properties" and then choose "Power Management" tab.
  4. Uncheck the option which says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
  5. Click "OK" and exit the "Device Manager".

Do reply with results.

Followed your steps, worked like a charm.  No more issues.

Thanks!

11 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 22:00

Bad news...problem has re-surfaced.  I am not sure how to fix it!

953 Posts

June 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

Please check the power plan settings and network adapter settings again and ensure they are not changed. If you see the settings have been changed, try performing a clean boot and then change the settings again. Click here to find steps on how to perform clean boot in Windows 8.

Do reply with results.

5 Posts

May 18th, 2014 18:00

Inspiron 17R = 5737 = new I7,8g-ram,1tb-hd, win8.1 same problem wireless working = Comcast cable = 30mb dn, 5 u after sleep = .2 dn, .001 up already did both suggestions...did NOT work for me... still have to restart to get back wireless... dumb OS dumb Dell spent big bucks and older xp system was much better any way to actually make this one work? also have trouble typing = dell/win8 has ADD....attention deficit disorder cannot type normally while cpu tries to guess what it is I might type next.. also, even if I push the keys nice and slow, it might advance the cursor but not display the character typed not sure if this is related...but these are my two most frustrating issues...
No Events found!