Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2014 10:00

Dell Back Up & Windows 8.1 Issue

I have an Inspiron 15 with Windows 8.  When I bought this laptop I did a Dell Back up to an external hard drive with no issues.  Since I upgraded to Windows 8.1, the Dell Back Up function is no longer available.  The buttons are grayed out.  Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, what is the fix?

15 Posts

March 15th, 2014 20:00

Mary, the web page you referenced is not active.  Do you have an active one?

Also, I reinstalled Dell Back Up and the Data Back Up feature now works. Thank you.  Now, since this software has been reinstalled, it does not recognize the initial System Backup I did when I bought my lap top with Windows 8.0.  Its prompting me to do one now.  If I do, I will be reimaging with Windows 8.1, a departure from the factory original.  Do you see a problem with this?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 8th, 2014 13:00

Upgrade to the latest version of the backup program your computer came with HERE if there is a version for 8.1.  Older dell backup programs at the bottom on that page do not work with 8.1. Windows 8.1 has its own File History and System Image programs for backup that you can use. Read about it --

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

15 Posts

March 15th, 2014 20:00

Mary, I did do the reinstall of the Dell Recovery software and the Data Back feature now works again.  Thank you.

Now that this software is reinstalled, Dell Recovery does not recognize the initial System Back up I did when I bought my laptop with Windows 8.0 (to my external hard drive).  It is prompting me to do one now.  I don't want to lose my original Back Up because if Windows 8.1 give me issues later, I want to be able to go back to the original factory settings with Windows 8.0. The fact that I reinstalled Dell Recovery, in the event I need to restore back to original factory settings, will my Laptop recognized my original System Back up I did a few months ago and restore my laptop?

255 Posts

April 7th, 2014 09:00

Your original factory image (Win8) should still be available in the recovery partition and you should see that when you go to factory recovery.   Should work as you've described, however any new system backups you create will be Win 8.1.

Thanks,

No Events found!