Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2014 10:00

Dell Backup and Recovery (Premium) Ver 1.6.2.4 Can I Use a USB Pen (8GB) to Create a Rescue Disk

I wish to create a Rescue Disk using Dell Backup and Recovery can I use a USB Flash Drive to do this?

255 Posts

February 28th, 2014 08:00

Hello,

I am the Lead Quality Engineer for Dell Dell Backup and Recovery.  While it is possible to create a Rescue Disk on a Flash drive, you would need a USB Key of over 100GB and it would have to be 'Windows 8 Certified'.  Microsoft changed the way USB keys are handled in Windows 8.1, the end result being that only 'Certified' keys can be partitioned (necessry for a rescue disk).  I would recommend an External HDD for this function.  You can certainly backup your factory image or create OS media (Reinstall Disks) on a USB key.

Hope this helps!

255 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 08:00

Yes, you can put your system backups (scheduled or otherwise) on the same drive after the rescue disk has been created.  In the current version, rescue disk creation will format the drive (so make sure it doesn't contain anything you want to keep!), you can then use that drive as the destination for your system backups (and anything else you want to put on it).

The next version of the software (release TBD) will not require that the external HDD be formatted during this operation.

Thanks, and hope this helps.

8 Posts

February 19th, 2014 19:00

Yes, I think you can!

14 Posts

February 20th, 2014 00:00

Thank you for information. I am using Windows 8.1 and the Software does not appear to recognise the drive.

8 Posts

February 20th, 2014 18:00

You said the Software is 

Dell Backup and Recovery (Premium) Ver 1.6.2.4 ?

What about the Windows built-in backup tool? Or some third-party software? I think you can some freeware like Aomei Backupper(http://www.backup-utility.com/) and so on. 

14 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 02:00

Thank you for your advice. Using an External HDD to create the Rescue Disk, can I use that HDD drive to include a system backup on the same drive? Also can I use that drive for my scheduled system backups. When I have previously asked about backing up the Help Desk has said I should use a separate disk to the rescue disks. I have had problems with System Backup on a previously partitioned HDD.

14 Posts

March 4th, 2014 00:00

Thank you for the additional information. John
No Events found!