Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2014 12:00

Dell Datasafe Factory Image Recovery With Windows 7 Will Not Work With USB 3.0

I don't know if this belongs in the software forum so moderator please move if necessary.  Thank you.

I have a 2 year old Inspiron 17R with Windows 7.  When I got the laptop I placed the factory image recovery on a USB flash drive.  I never tested to see if I could get into the DataSafe Recovery menu.

Forward to 2 years later and I am setting up a friend's new Dell and it occurred to me that I probably should make sure that my recovery will work if I need it.  I come to find out that it will not work because Windows 7 does not have 3.0 drivers so I get an error message that the recovery image can't be found and if I am trying to restore from USB 3.0 that I should connect to a USB 2.0.  Problem is that the laptop does not have USB 2.0, all the ports are USB 3.0

I did some research and found a site that said to go into BIOS and change USB Debug Mode from Disable to Enable and that would disable USB 3.0.  I tried that but I still get the error message that says "if you are trying to restore your PC from USB 3.0 to connect it to a different USB port.  But all of my USB ports are 3.0.

Is there any way around this problem?  And now I am not confident in using the DataSafe software as my factory recovery option so is there any way for me to get actual recovery discs from Dell if my laptop is 2 years old and out of warranty?

No Responses!
No Events found!