Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 20:00

Dell Docking Station - D3100 - Firewire to Thunderbolt or USB 3

I just purchased a new XPS laptop and the D3100 docking station. I need to connect a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 that has a 6 pin Firewire 400 out.

Should I connect directly to the XPS via the Thunderbolt port using the Apple sold Thunderbolt to FIrewire adapter?

Is there a way for me to connect with the dock via the Thunderbolt compatible USB 3 ports?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

September 21st, 2016 19:00

I am able to connect to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 using 3 items and daisy chaining them together.

1. Firewire 800/400 9-pin male to 6-pin male
  2. Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter
  3. Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter

I have never purchased an Apple product and was hurt to have to buy the Apple adapter. I was even more hurt by the pricetag of the Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) that is apprently only sold by one company.

Nonetheless the connection so far has worked great and has no latency. I obviously need to upgrade to an audio interface that has nativeThunderbolt output.

September 22nd, 2016 16:00

I documented how I was able to connect my Focusrite to my new Dell laptop via the Thunderbolt 3 port.

www.griffininsight.com/.../

1 Message

October 13th, 2017 02:00

Would it have been possible doing the same using the Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter or do we absolutely need the startech adapter ?

No Events found!