Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2011 11:00

Dell Inspiron 1420: Keyboard connector latch

I replaced my processor fan for my Inspiron 1420 with nVidia video. In the process, I snapped my keyboard connector latch in half. I can actually fit the two broken parts back on the keyboard connector, but my keyboard no longer works. (More precisely, my keyboard recognizes a few key strokes, such as the letters j and y ... but that's all).

It appears the keyboard connector and the keyboard connector latch comprise a so-called "ZIF connection". The keyboard connector is a ribbon, and it's possible that I'm simply not securely placing the keyboard connector. That said, I've tried re-inserting the ribbon repeatedly, but to no avail.

What should I do? A picture of my problem is below. I put in a screw driver to highlight the break.

I'm guessing that I have to (a) replace to keyboard connector latch or (b) replace the system board (yikes!).

Thank you.

28 Posts

May 10th, 2011 16:00

Eureka! I have fixed my problem: all keys are working properly now. It was not until I got a new palmrest that I could see my broken keyboard connector latch had to be replaced. ZIF connections are very fragile.

SSaraogi: You should be able to see if your latch is broken. If you have any doubts, then I recommend you replace the palmrest. Removing the 22 screws on the bottom of the laptop is a pain, but I doubt you will find a less expensive solution. In fact, I suspect you would pay close to $50 just to have someone diagnose the problem.

28 Posts

April 28th, 2011 12:00

Hello,

I haven't heard from anyone on these boards in a while, but I thought I would post my own update for any 'future sufferers' of my problem. I ordered a dead motherboard from eBay. Surprise! The "keyboard connector latch" and the "keyboard connector" are not on the motherboard: they are on the palmrest/touchpad! I learned that this is a strange design: most keyboard connector latches are on motherboards.

Presumably, my next step is to replace the (a) palmrest (part number UX289), (b) keyboard (part number NK750) or (c) both. I am going to replace the palmrest first (since that's where the broken keyboard connector latch is). If that doesn't work, then I will replace the keyboard next.

The journey continues.

1 Message

April 30th, 2011 21:00

My dell inspiron keyboard is also not working. It started with some keys behaving randomly - but now none of the keys are working - external keyboard works fine and device manager shows keyboard is working properly.

I thought keyboard hw is damaged  - and got new keyboard for $20 from ebay. Even installing that doesn't have solve this - and got the latch also broken.

looks like there could be two reasons now:

1) Latch is broken - and need another plamrest

2) some internal motherboard / connection problem

any idea or help would be appreciated? dont want to spend another $20-$30 buying plamrest with no luck

February 21st, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the post.  You saved me a lot of time!  Part # UX289 on ebay $8 shipped!

No Events found!