Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 11th, 2013 20:00

Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 Suddenly Shut Down

Good Night,

I'm having this trouble a few time ago, it happens just in the mid of a game, or in the mid of my work, it just kinds of happens randomly, it just get a dark screen and then immediately shut downs, i'm worried as for the life time of my laptop but its also inconvenient for my work and other labors.

Just when it shut downs I try to turn it on again after one or two minutes and it again shuts down immediately, on rare chances it turns on directly but mostly it get turned down almost immediately after the boot screen.

I have to pass through this immediate shut downs 2 or 3 times before I hear again the fan spinning.

Hope someone can help me with this asap

October 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi Arkano22,

You may run the diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Refer to the link http://dell.to/GAxNcY for steps on how to run the diagnostics.

Does the system overheat before it shuts down?

Do you get any error message before it shut down or while restarting?

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

October 11th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

Thanks for the quick assist, as for your questions and recomendations i've got this:

The Diagnostics find no error on the hardware.

Yes, pretty much a lot its like having a termo pad for my left hand mostly

No, no messages at all, when i get the issue the screen just fades to black and shut downs

October 12th, 2013 04:00

Hi Arkano22,

Update the system BIOS. The link to download the BIOS is http://dell.to/19y5184.

You may refer to the link http://dell.to/176grvH for steps on how to upgrade the BIOS.

Also, try cleaning the air vents of the system by performing these steps:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Unplug the AC Adapter
  • Remove the Battery
  • Blow air into the vents to remove dust and debris

Note: You may use can of compressed air or a blower. When using compressed air can, follow the directions printed on the can as incorrect use can cause damage to the computer.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

October 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

Once Again thanks for the quick assist, I've already installed the latest Bios on the system following your instruction, also I checked the air vents and it does is a little dusty, currently I don't have the instruments to blow them so its a step I will have to do when I get access to them.

Should anything happen I will attend here once again.

For the moment Thanks a lot.

October 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi Arkano22,

If the fan is unable to provide proper cooling, it may result in system overheating and shutting down.

Try to clean the vents to see if it makes any difference.

Keep me updated with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

4 Posts

October 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi,

Thanks once more for the quick assistance, as suggested I updated the BIOS and made a heavy usage of the laptop over 3 days and it went along really well no overheating nor similars, even so I got the air vents blown and a little dust came out, not anything as I had in mind, even so the answer was on the BIOS update.

thanks a lot for the help, I would never imagined the trouble was there lol

October 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Arkano22,

Glad to know that the system is working fine.

The issue may have occurred due to an outdated BIOS version.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

June 25th, 2016 07:00

Hi Kuldeep.

I have a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron 14 5459. My laptop suddenly getting a dark screen, the fan so noisy after that, and I must shut it down with force.

It happen about 3-4 times while I work, I don't have any program that makes my laptop work too hard.  

could you please give me  a solution for this problem?

Thank you

No Events found!