Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2013 04:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 keyboard issue

Hi,

I am facing typing issues while typing from my laptop...

Like when I press 'BackSpace' letter 'y' gets displayed,

for 'Enter' ,it displays character 'm',

for  'Spacebar',it displays ' n'.....

Same is the case for few more characters.

Can anyone provide me with the solution....

I tried (fn+NumLock) ,fn+F4,fn+F11 combinations suggested on related forums....but trick is not working in my case.

1.3K Posts

July 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi Akshay,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Click on the link below for troubleshooting steps for Keyboard Not Working correctly. 

http://dell.to/17ZE0tb

You can also try typing in the Safe mode (accessible by continously typing F8 at startup) or connect an external keyboard to see if the correct characters can be typed using with.

If the issue is still not resolved after completing the steps above, run the ePSA Diagnostics on your system.

http://dell.to/11NpLCy

Please keep us posted on the results. We would be happy to assist you further, if required.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

5 Posts

August 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi Babita,

Issue has been resolved now....

Keypad was reseated by me and after that problem got resolved

Thanks,

Akshay

5 Posts

July 20th, 2013 05:00

Hi Babita,

Thanks for your reply....

But solution did not work for my problem...

Whatever I am typing right now is from external keyboard only.. Typing working correctly on external keyborard but getting wrong characters mentioned in above forum when I type with my Laptop keys....

as per your suggestion I run ePSA Diagnostics also and it ran completely and successfully with no detection of errors.

But problem is still not resolved.

I tried running in Safe Mode but On pressing 'F8' during boot up, Safe mode is not appearing.

I am using Windows 8....

Please provide me solution soon.

1.3K Posts

July 20th, 2013 09:00

Hi Akshay,

Thank you for your reply.

Since the external keyboard works fine when connected to your laptop though the internal keypad does not, the keypad needs to be replaced.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you may contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

5 Posts

July 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi Babita,

My laptop is a brand new laptop...took it month back but started  using  it hardly 3 days back....

I don't think there should be any hardware issue...while handling laptop I remember I pressed 'fn' key with other key(which I don't remember) and after that I am facing a problem....

There must be silly typing mistake from my side due to which keypad functioning Incorrectly.

I still prefer any other solution before going for keypad replacement. Please let me know any other solution,if that also doesn't work then finally keypad replacement would be the only option. :(

Regards,

Akshay

1.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 10:00

Hi Akshay,

Thank you for your reply.

Please check the link I have posted earlier. There are steps for resolving the issue you are facing. Please check under the sub-link  "Troubleshooting a Keyboard or Touchpad Built Into the Notebook".

http://dell.to/11NSqg5

Try pressing   again to go back to normal operation.

Please keep us posted on the results so that we can assist you further.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1.3K Posts

July 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi Akshay,

We hope the issue with the keypad has been resolved. In case the issue is not resolved, try the following steps:

• Verify that the Num Lock is not engaged.
  • Check the keyboard layout settings in the Control Panel.
  • Remove any docking stations or port replications.
  • Remove all external peripherals.
  • Remove all power sources (battery and AC adapter), press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, Reattach the AC power adapter, power the computer on.

Click on this link for steps to enter Safe Mode in Windows 8: http://dell.to/19mgDwp . Since I was not aware of the operating system you have, I requested you to tap F8 at startup to boot into Safe Mode, which does not work always in Windows 8.

As mentioned earlier, you can contact me through private message with details requested for, in case the issue remains unresolved.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

5 Posts

July 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi Babita,

My Issue is not yet resolved.

I had an Online Chat with Dell Technician and he remotely looked into my Pc and came to the conclusion that Keypad needs to be reseated first and if that doesn't work then Needs to be replaced..

Here is the Reference No. for the Session I had with Technician : Technician raised an International request for One Time On-Site Resolution as I am located in India and my laptop is not under International Warranty.

I was informed by the Technician that it will take 15-20 Business days to process my request

If by any way you can figure out the status of my request,Kindly let me know.

Thanks & Regards.

Akshay Mashelkar

1.3K Posts

July 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi Akshay,

Please check the private message I have sent you and reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi Akshay,

That is wonderful news. Thank you for letting us know that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!