Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2013 02:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000(7537) WiFi issue

Hi,

I purchased  the dell inspiron 7000 laptop last week. It has some issues with wifi connectivity.. Though it gets connected, we can see the signal bar fluctuating randomly and the speed of the interent connection is very slow. I am using the same connection for my phone and also checked it with other laptops and the wifi connection seems to have no problem. The download speed on the laptop shows 0.50mbps, while the download speed on another laptop connected to the same connection at the same time and spot shows 6.8mbps.

I have reported the issue the very next day of my purchase, so far I have not obtained any help from the dell customer support. Finally two days back I got a mail stating that there will be a service engineer visiting me in 2-3 working days. But ironically today I get a call form the customer support and they said the person wont be coming for the next week or so as they do not have the parts available.

Why would you want to change the part  of a brand new laptop which is not even two weeks old????Is this a known issue for this model??

December 23rd, 2013 12:00

Did they replace it with the exact same card (Intel 7260 N dual band)? Or a different one? If different, which one?

I'm thinking of buying my own wifi adapter if someone can confirm that it fixes the problem.

December 23rd, 2013 21:00

Did they replace it with the exact same card (Intel 7260 N dual band)? Or a different one? If different, which one?

I'm thinking of buying my own wifi adapter if someone can confirm that it fixes the problem.

they've replaced the wifi adapter from "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260" to "Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260"... But this has not solved the issue for me...

18 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 22:00

I'm sorry but not surprised to hear this.

I am certain that almost every one of these machines has this problem (Good signals close to the router with huge drop offs only a short distance away) but many folks just don't notice it.

What does surprise me though is that Dell are fully aware of the problem but they continue to waste both their resources and our time with "fixes" that do not work. How many more of people need to report this issue before they take the appropriate action?

Notebookreview.com is also full of complaints.

Although I would consider repurchasing the same machine I returned if they could correct the problem, the longer this goes on for the less inclined I am to do that or consider any Dell product for that matter.

Yes all companies have these kinds of issues from time to time.What separates the good companies from the bad is how they deal with these problems.

DELL are you listening?

2 Posts

December 27th, 2013 12:00

I have received my 15" Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop last week, and I am experiencing the same WIFI issues as everyone else.

Installing the latest intel drivers solved the disconnect-issue for me, but the speed is still very slow, I can't get above 10mbps, while other devices reach over 60mbps at the same spot. 

On a sidenote, I have the most expensive Inspiron 7000 series laptop, which was advertised to come with a dual-band wireless AC card, however it seems it came with a Wireless-N 7260 card (2.4ghz only) instead.. What the hell is going on here Dell? Misleading customers with false specifications is one thing, but delivering brand new laptops with broken wifi cards? Come on...

18 Posts

December 27th, 2013 20:00

Due to the lack of further response from anyone at Dell in getting this problem solved I decided to post on their FB site.

The post remained for an hour or two and then got deleted.

Seriously Dell? You ship an inferior product in the first place, we give you valuable feedback, you make no further effort to resolve the problem and then dismiss our further efforts to reach out to you.

We have to put up with poor service from your field technicians, spending hours on the phone with support staff who are difficult to understand and who hangup on you and you are quite happy to leave the problem be without coming up with a solution that works.

I guess there's no further option now than to bring this to Michael Dell's attention.

11 Posts

December 29th, 2013 04:00

I support samsat 100%.

I spent a lot of time on Dell Chat, asking about the status of solving this Problem and they keep saying "Problem solved". The technical support is very very low..

I am trying to buy my 15" modell, but until this Problem has a solution, I am not wasting my money. I give Dell time till mit January, if then the Problem is not solved, I am going for a Samsung Ativ 8. Reviews are really better.

January 8th, 2014 08:00

This is what happened to me

A technician replaced my lcd/antenna kit 2 days ago. No improvement...

Today he came back with 3 wifi cards. 3 different cards. At first the cables of the antenna came loose so he will come back to replace the lcd/antenna again. But with a quick fix we both noticed that none of the cards improved the wifi speed. 

I use an external dlink wifi adaptor and i get speeds up to 25mbps. With the original internal intel cards i got 15mbps at max.

The tech told me he was affraid that this 7000 series have the same problem like the xps models. The alu cover of the screen causes all of these problems and that the only solution is asking my money back because the replacement laptops will probably all have the same issue.

I ll give and update when i have some more news about how they will solve this. I am not going to wait yet another month for a solution.

Is there anybody who has a 15 7000 without the wifi issue or somebody who got his wifi fixed. I don't want to use an external adapter anymore because i paid for a laptop so i would like to have something that is compact and not a half desktop pc..

18 Posts

January 8th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for the update.

Interesting comments from the technician. I have been trying to communicate with Dell via Twitter and FB but it's been an exercise in frustration.

All I want to find is someone there who knows about and recognizes the problem and has some idea of when a fix will be available.

Dell is not the first company and the 7000 is not the first of Dell's machine with a metal cover. Also, if the cover is genuinely the problem then surely this will have been picked up during the design/testing phase.

Their tag line is

"Dell's Social Media Outreach Team. 24x7 Global Support. We're here to listen, help & provide proactive info to our customers"

I have not seen much evidence of this.

January 8th, 2014 09:00

The tech told me that you just have to find the right person to talk to. Today somebody was on his phone and said that i should contact dell later to get a decent solution like getting my money back or getting a replacement laptop. 

Nothing to complain about the tech, he was the only one who admitted that it is a serious problem and even told me i should not hope for a fix. He had the same problems with the xps models and also wasn't very positive about the R&D of this product. 

If a new 15 7000 would solve the problem i would return it but it seems like also the replacement laptops have these issues or even more issues. SO i am going to try to get my money back. I hope this is possible after 30 days but i had to wait 2 weeks before they believed me that i had a wifi problem and 2 weeks for a technician. Smart system the 30day cash back system if you only recognise the problem 30 days after i received it.

January 8th, 2014 10:00

You are really lucky to have got some techs who really are willing to help.. 

Here in my case they are just trying everything possible to make me look like i am lying and that there is no wifi issue with the laptop.. One guy even told me "Sir, this is the best performance our laptop can give" and when i told him that other laptops seems to work fine, he says " i am not bothered about other laptops". What can i say to techs with such attitude?

Anyways i hope you get your money back.. I am waiting for my 2nd replacement laptop. I had no other choice because they told me its either going to be a replacement or a credit note where i can buy some other dell products worth the amount i have paid!! And i really cant find any other laptop with similar configuration with dell... if its not for this model, my other options are hp envy or apple macbook..

I ordered mine on Nov. 22, 2013. I received it on Dec 13, 2013.

hi,

in Belgium dell doesn't have their own tech but it is a company geotronics that visits the customers at home. So they don't try to 'protect' dell they just repair for them and if dell made a production faillure they just say it. The tech that came to my place from geotronics was really friendly and even told me what i should do about this because he wouldn't accept this issues if it was his laptop. 

And he had a lot more expierience with ict than the techs of dell on the phone...

hi, 

i have exactly the same model as you. When did you ordered and received your laptop. 

Maybe there is hope that they changed their assembly line because of the negative reactions...

o and i forgot... the telephone support is not free :p just found out that all those hours of calling already coted me 20euros :p so if you are smart you call them and ask that they call you back becuse of a bad connection (tip from the technician today):p

Sorry to heat about your problems. I am one of the lucky owners of the Inspiron 15 7000 who don't seem to have a Wifi issue. When I first received it, the Wifi kept disconnecting, so I uninstalled and re-installed the driver (from Windows Device Manager). After that, it seemed to work perfectly fine, no better or worse than any other device I have (two smartphones: iPhone 4S and Nexus 5).

I'm getting speeds of nearly 25 Mbps for both upload and download, which is my speed limit from the ISP. I took it to work, and there I was able to easily surpass 50 Mbps. For the record, I have not yet updated to Windows 8.1, if that makes any difference, and I have the most expensive model (SSD, GT 750m, i7, 1080p screen, 16 GB RAM).

I'd be happy to conduct any tests if you think it may help.

Anyway, I think no one deserves to be troubleshooting a brand new laptop. This is a failure in Dell's quality control.

No Events found!