Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron 15 N5010 Bluetooth Card - Windows 7 64-bit

I purchased the Inspiron 15 N5010 three years ago and just learned the Bluetooth card was not installed at the time of purchase.  There was no major need to use this feature until now.  After 2 1/2 hours working with techs trying to successfully install the appropriate Bluetooth driver, it was discovered the card was not loaded.  I was told it was not possible for a card to be physically installed on my computer and I would have to resort to using a dongle (for monitor, keyboard and mouse).  My dilemma is with the number of peripherals I use for my work, I do not have another available USB port.  Questions:

1.  Should the Bluetooth have already been installed at the time of purchase.

2.  Is it true a physical Bluetooth card cannot be installed at this time.

a.  If it can and should have been installed prior to purchase, should I bear the cost for purchase and installation.

b.  If it can and I must bear the costs, what card should I purchase and the best store to have it installed, i.e. Best Buy, etc.

Thanks immensely for your "prompt" responses!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 13:00

It is going to be a major pain in the *** to put in the Bluetooth module which you can buy on eBay.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 12:00

IEEE488:  Thank you for your response.  It's clear that it was not in the original configuration.  The closest to wireless is "SERVICE CHARGE..., APPIAN..., WIRELESS..., HMCRD, WIRELESS FIDELITY..., CNB."  I realize this refers only to WiFi (?).  Unfortunately, my understanding was the laptop was Bluetooth capable/enabled.  That's water under the bridge at this point, so I now struggle with the question of is, in fact, the laptop not capable of even having a Bluetooth card installed.  My curiosity is keen having seen so very many posts about Bluetooth enabled and driver installation successes from owners of the same laptop model.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 12:00

go to http://support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag #

Click on Original Configuration. It will tell you what hardware was originally in the laptop.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 14:00

Oh my goodness!  Deliver me!  You have made me a true Believer that installing the Bluetooth module is a royal pain everywhere!!  I'll run to the computer (online) to purchase a dongle and "make" a USB port become available on my laptop.  The thought of all peripherals not plugged in at the same time suddenly becomes okay.  :emotion-2:   So, until the next laptop purchase that will include all the bells and whistles I need, THANK YOU, IEEE488, for your awesome information and valuable time today.  I wish you the very best!!   

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 16:00

You are welcome.

Not all Dell laptops are that much of pain the neck.

The next laptop I buy, I will check

1.) how easy to install more RAM

2.) how easy to install new hard drive

3.) how easy to install new CMOS battery

Good luck!

1 Message

April 26th, 2014 18:00

I want to know if my Dell Inspiron N5010 is bluetooth capable, if so , how I access the bluetooth.

No Events found!