Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

May 5th, 2008 16:00

Dell Inspiron 1501 - problem bios (lost a little minutes when the pc is turned off)

Hi all, I'm italian. I have an inspiron 1501, bought about 1/2 months ago.

As the object of topic, I've a problem. When I turn off the pc, and turn on after some hours, the hours lost some minutes... It depends by how I keep (turn)off the pc. What can depends this thing? I read on some forum that it could be the battery buffer zone (that on the motherboard...) 

3.6K Posts

May 5th, 2008 21:00

It could be the CMOS battery is bad or going bad.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2008 07:00

So, what could I do? Should I change the battery?.. I don't know good how to put the hands...

3.6K Posts

May 6th, 2008 11:00

First run dell diagnostics at boot up (f12) to make sure the CMOS is the problem.Then if it is call dell to order a new CMOS battery.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2008 12:00

And how to ensure that is the CMOS battery?.. after press f12 I enter just in the bios... How to run the dell diagnostic?

7 Posts

May 6th, 2008 18:00

I run the diagnostic today afternoon... It's exact f12 ;) BTW the system has not found any error...

3.6K Posts

May 6th, 2008 18:00

sorry it is f8 at boot i got a little ahead of myself.When you run diag. run it on the entire system.

3.6K Posts

May 6th, 2008 19:00

I had to check on that one when you said no diag. i thought i told you the wrong key at boot.

I would contact dell and get a replacement CMOS battery.

What OS do you have?...

Message Edited by dgkpcon on 05-06-2008 04:06 PM

7 Posts

May 7th, 2008 04:00

I have windows vista home premium 32-bit... If i ask for a change of the cmos battery how would happen the thing? any experience?

Will they send me with post and I will have to replace it or what?.. 

3.6K Posts

May 7th, 2008 11:00

Thats why i asked what OS you had,i have vista also and my clock is 5-10 slower then the actual time on my cable set time.So before you buy the CMOS battery make sure this is not the problem.Open the clock control and click on change date and time,click synchronize time.If it continues to slow down and lose time buy the battery.If it is just 5 minutes and stays there it is the synchronization that is off not the battery.

7 Posts

May 7th, 2008 13:00

Sure enaugh, the time is slower als 5-10 minutes... But i don't want a time not syncro. I would want it syncro! Can't resolve this problem? I didn't know about this problem in Vista...

BTW, afterwards I will install ubuntu and I'll see if the problem will be constant.

7 Posts

May 7th, 2008 18:00

Ok... but the syncro doesn't work always... BTW i have installed ubuntu... I'll let you know in some day ;)

3.6K Posts

May 7th, 2008 18:00

As i said in previous post,if you do want to synch the time,click on the clock then click change date and time settings at bottom.Then click internet time tab,and click change settings.Now click the drop down arrow,and you have 5 choices to synch it with.
No Events found!