Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 1545 Function Keys

Jump to solution

I recently bought the Inspiron 1545 and to be honest was actually quite struck by how simple everything was in the design. However there is only one problem that I found when I use the laptop. In order for the function keys to be used, I would need to press Fn+(Function Key) Eg. Fn+F1. Now obviously function keys are supposed to act like a shortcut key for certain activies. This actually defeats there purpose. Instead by pressing those keys without the Fn key, I would be able to use the multimedia keys and anything else on the keys with a white symbol on.

I was wondering whether there was any way in which I could swap round the functuion of the keys so that I can use the function keys without having to press Fn?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 Function Keys

Jump to solution

There is a much more simpler way to do this without entering into BIOS settings which requires restarting your laptop.

Just go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings -> Fn Key Behavior

Change it to "Function key" emoticon.Smile.title

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this.  In Windows 7, I went to Windows Mobility Center and changed to "Function Key".  That took all of 1.5 minutes.  I was on the phone with multiple transfers with Dell for close to 30 minutes. emoticon.SuperAngry.title

36 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

There should be an F Lock key that toggles between the 2 functions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm sorry but I don't know where that key is.

[EDIT]

I've managed to fix this problem. I went into the BIOS and under the Function Keys Settings I swapped it round. It's all good now. Thanks for your help anyways.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hey sorry, i'm not too good with computers, could you explain step by step how you went into BIOS and did that? it'd really be a great help to me, thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

The best thing to do is that if you have a 1545 Inspiron then it should have come with a quick start guide. In that small booklet you will find instructions on how to enter the BIOS and also change certain settings and all. I think swapping the Functions Keys is included in thw Multimedia Buttons (or Keys) part of the booklet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.  I do not have the quick start guide though.  can you please help with a step-by-step on this please.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I also have no booklet. Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

-Make sure you know How To Enter The BIOS before using this set of instructions taken from the Setup Guide for the Inspiron Laptops-

You can use the Function Key Behaviour setting in the System Setup (BIOS) utility to configure the media control keys. The options in the Function Key Behaviour setting are:

Multimedia Key First - This is the default option. Press any multimedia key directly. For function key, press <Fn> + the required function key.

Function Key First - Press any function key directly. For multimedia key, press <Fn> + the required multimedia key.

NOTE: Multimedia Key First option is active only in the operating system. During POST, press <F2> or <F12> directly.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

There is a much more simpler way to do this without entering into BIOS settings which requires restarting your laptop.

Just go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings -> Fn Key Behavior

Change it to "Function key" emoticon.Smile.title

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this.  In Windows 7, I went to Windows Mobility Center and changed to "Function Key".  That took all of 1.5 minutes.  I was on the phone with multiple transfers with Dell for close to 30 minutes. emoticon.SuperAngry.title

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This method worked beautifully for me!  It was quick and easy!  Thanks! 😃

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What if I dont have the Fn Key  in my Windows Mobility Center?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This is exactly the kind of corporate garbage that people are fed up with. Who in the hell is dell to change the defaults for the f1-f112 keys, and then to set it in the bios. 

On top of all the garbage software they throw on these cheap 3rd world country computers, is garbage. Screw dell they probly help run drugs for the US government. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Anvesh - thanks buddy, you made my day! I was sooooo frustrated with having to press the Fn key all the time. I thought I bought the wrong laptop 🙂

By the way: very strange that changing that option is so difficult to find! On my N5030 I could only locate it under the Dell-specific "Windows Mobility Center". Why isn't this under "Keyboard"??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi,

Dell incorporated this toggle button of changing the Fn key behavior only under "Windows Mobility Center" and not under "Keyboard" so as to discriminate it from the routine keys settings and to group along with the extra add-in features.

Hope this thread clarifies everyone's doubt. emoticon.Smile.title

Regards,

Anvesh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That worked perfectly for me (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings -> Fn Key Behavior

Change it to "Function key).  I was trying to help my sister, who was on the internet and suddenly lost internet access.  The FN+F2 did nothing (I kept asking, are you sure you're pressing and holding FN etc..).  No matter what she did, the FN combo didn't work.  I looked like a hero when I said, OK, go into control panel etc... what she found was the Wireless Network read as "Turn On", but was grayed out.  When she went into the Function Key option, I had her de-select the Use the FN for the Wireless.  Once she did that and hit apply, she received a message that the wireless would now be turned on.  On the previous screen, the "Turn On", now read as "Turn On".  She can now control the radio via the "Mobility Setting".  She's on the internet and is very happy as she has "work from home" stuff to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I might be taking this too far.  I'd like to keep all the multimedia keys as default except for the f4 key.  I've done things like this before with my previous MSI laptop, but it was only with help editing the bios.  Any ideas?

Nila

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Am not getting Fn key behavior under Adjust commonly used mobility settings. can you please help me out. 

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you for this information! I found it very helpful and a LOT easier that what I had read previously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Dude,  how do you get into Dell Inspiron 1545 BIOS Menu please? I can't find it anywhere!! tried Fn key + F2 Fn key + F12, nothing...THX

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

press F2 or F12(choose from the menu) at power up - don't use the Fn-key.......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Million Thanks dude - You are the best !! I was really really frustrated finding this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you very much il was looking every where and tell i found your sloution:emotion-13: thanks mat it was easy and it took me 10 sec:emotion-2:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have purchased DELL VOSTRO 1540. Function key is not working in windows 7 but working in DOS mode by pressing F2 setup. Tried all option still problem I am unhappy with DELL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

The FN-key was not part of the original IBM keyboard layout when it was devised 30 years ago.To make the FN key work a special software is needed and for Dell systems it is "Quickset".If you press the "windows-key" and the letter "x" the Windows Mobility Center" opens and if Quickset is properly installed it should have a Dell Logo included - see picture below.You might have to choose the appropriate "FN-key Behavior" - setting.

Another way to check if Quickset is active:

Click the Start button,type "msconfig.exe" (without quotation marks)and press "Enter"

If the settings are ok and you still can't make the Fn-key work uninstall and reinstall Quickset

Note : It is always a good idea to create a system restore point before making any changes to the system especially if your are not familiar

with a brandnew system - The Windows Help section gives you plenty of information about this topic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

PERFECT!  Thank you so much!  I have had this issue for almost a year now and just dealt with it.  As of today there was no easy fix, not even from Dell.  They claimed it was impossible for the Fn+keys to be swapped.  Thanks again!

Thank you in advance,

lilpit01

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I will not recommend DELL laptop to any one. I am facing such issue, unsolvable. My Eyes are stain due to low brightness of scree and not able to abject by Fu key. Finishing also  poor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi.  This thread was started 2 years ago, but it was helpful to me.  Can anyone tell me where I can get info on all the function keys for the Inspirion 1545?  Mine were also set up so that I have to use the Fn key.  Its not convenient for the software program I am trying to learn that uses function keys.  I'd like a keyboard layout that describes the function of each of the keys.  I know that the F2 key brings up the wireless window and F1 has something to do with the projector.  I don't see anything like that in any of the manuals online.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

For the sake of efficiency and the ease-of-use, please refrain from using terms such as "should," "might" "possibly" or "try" Dell users come here looking for answers and it's tough to sift through non-technical advise that Should, Might, Attempt to, Possibly work...These terms are substitutes for "I don't really know, but I think my guess is better than your ability to figure out your tech problem." As for the user asking about reverting to standard Fn Key operability...You did the right thing. Bios is the only way to alter the behavior of your Inspiron 1545. Congrats! you pulled it off! 

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@N7U

What about "quickset" as a second option? That way you can change the FN-key behaviour "on the fly".Try it.It should work like it does on my system and if it fails then possibly because of a Windows software problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Dell Inspiron 1545 Function Keys

Jump to solution

Just wanted to say thanks, and I am so happy to learn the "Mobility Center" solution in addition to other info provided by this thread even tho I'm using a Dell laptop with Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Am having the same problem with my del inspiron 7545 and the company is saying there is nothing as such as. Under the multimedia key also you gotta press the fn key! they told me on the phone and i said after restarting, it operates directly without pressing fn key and after 2hrs or such,it doesn't works at all and instead works wrong like opens the help and support page! are hey lieing? coz you just told you got your problem solved and mine didn't! i guess i should file a complaint in consumer court as they already have reset my laptop more than 2 times and also changed the keyboard once and motherboard too and also did sent them my laptop but still didn't solved. what should i do!? help me guys! as i filed the complain within 20 days of usage and not my purchase and it took 12 days for the shipping!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

The Dell Inspiron 1545 hasn't been available for sale from Dell (where the warranty would have been supported) since 2009. If your notebook is a different model you will have better luck with a reply after you locate your model and post a question or request in the appropriate thread. If your machine is a 1545 and you're still using it...or want to but it needs service you will need to take it to an independent or 3rd party service center and pay for that service. Normally when you mention litigation nobody ...flatly nobody...will entertain your comments and it's pretty common to be ignored. I hope your machine is NOT a 1545 and that you have a different model that might still be covered under your warranty. Certainly the Inspiron 1545 is not.

Dell™ Community Forum since 2013

Not employed by Dell™

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

thank you.  This took me a couple of seconds to correct the issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

I don't see the option for fn key in Windows Mobility Center. 

Please suggest me an alternative option

thanks

Pravin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Super and simple. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hallelujah! Thank you. That worked like a charm. 

0 Kudos