Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2013 21:00

Dell Inspiron 1555: Touchpad issues (right/left click not working and powering down....)

Dear all:

New to the forum.  Thanks in advance to anyone able to help.  I have two issues that seem to be related.  Today at some point I could not longer use my right or left click buttons on my laptop.  The touchpad still works in the sense that I can move my cursor and if I tap once on the touchpad (not the left/right buttons) then it will select a link.  There is no right-clicking capabilities on the touchpad itself.

I "attempted" to reinstall the driver.  Not sure if I was successful doing that, but seeing as how half of the touchpad functionality works, I'm not positive it's a driver issue.

After restarting my laptop I tried again to click on the left/right buttons and became frustrated and wanted to see if they were stuck, so I pressed down hard.  My laptop proceeded to shut off immediately.  Frustrated, I disassembled my laptop and checked out the touchpad sensor to see if I could spot something wrong.  Everything appeared to be in tact.  I reassembled and the laptop powered on, yeahh!!

I once again tried to press the buttons and nothing happening.  Again I pressed harder than normal and the laptop shut down.  I was going to disassemble it again however I got halfway before trying to power it on and the laptop powered on again.

My first issue is:  Why is my laptop suddenly shutting off when pressing hard on those buttons?

My second issue is:  How can I fix those buttons?  I have seen fixes on this site with tape and those shorts of things but the touchpad tape/wire appear to be fine.  Maybe not, I'm not an expert.

Another, perhaps related or not, issue is that I recently was struggling connecting to my wifi router.  We had a lot of people over on the weekend, many wireless devices attached to the router, so I thought maybe something was screwed up with the ip address.  When I disassembled my laptop, I checked the wlan adapter and made sure the connections were on tight.  I have had recent success with this, although it was only a short time ago that I checked the adapter.  Some of the issues regarding wireless were that the connection would drop from 54 mbps to 1 mbps, my distance was greatly reduced, and it would shut on/off intermittently with seemingly not logical explanation (moving around, etc.)

I'm almost wondering if my laptop fell sometime this past week and everything got a little messed up.

Thanks in advance for anyone who was willing to read this long-winded post and willing to respond!

6 Posts

March 4th, 2013 09:00

I am having the same issue. However, my computer is not shutting off. The right/left click just stopped working. I downloaded the driver, and nothing happened. My computer now won't restart and my shutdown is really slow. I wish someone could help with this issue because DELL wants $145 to fix the problem!

1.1K Posts

March 4th, 2013 17:00

Hi Dell4573,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed. What steps are not working to shut down/restart the laptop? You may run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, check the system's functionality in 'Safe mode with Networking':

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

I understand that you have already downloaded the latest touch pad driver which did not fix the issue, I will recommend you to uninstall and re install the touch pad driver:

• Click on 'Start' and right click on 'My Computer'.
  • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device manager'.
  • Exapnd 'Mice and other pointing devices''.
  • Right click on the each entry listed and click 'uninstall'. (Check the box to delete the software)
  • Once done, restart the system and click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter your Service Tag and select the operating system.
  • Go to 'Input' and click on the touch pad driver.
  • Click on it and click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Driver” and click on 'Continue'
  • Select “Save” and save it to your desktop.
  • Once the download is complete, right click on the driver on the desktop and click on “Run as administrator” and click on "Continue".
  • Follow the on screen instructions to install the driver.
  • Restart the system.

If the issue still persists, BIOS update might fix this issue:

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

1. Click on the link to update the BIOS: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  2. Enter the Service Tag and select the operating system.
  3. Go to ‘BIOS’ and select the latest BIOS for your system.
  4. Click ‘Download file’ and click on ‘Continue’.
  5. Click ‘Run’ to update the BIOS.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

October 13th, 2013 12:00

This is kind of unbelievably stupid response that will prevent me from ever recommending Dell products or services. The post specifically says that the laptop has NO right click functionality. So you provide a suggested solution that involves right clicking several times? Are you brain dead, or do you just have the critical thinking skills of a toddler?

1 Message

October 14th, 2013 02:00

Dear CJTHEDJ53

Thank you for your kind input.

I wonder if you ever had heard of this gadget called a mouse?

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Are you suggesting we just ignore the problem and go buy a mouse to do the job the mouse pad is supposed to do? My computer is almost brand new and I expect the mouse pad and keys to function properly.

January 21st, 2014 13:00

You just gave a set of instructions that involve right clicking to someone who told you the right and left click are not working. I am having the same issue.

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 12:00

I have the same issue but with the right click only. The weird thing is that if I plug in a mouse, the right click on the mouse does not workas well. Mine is a new machine under warranty so I will be contacting support.

1 Message

December 8th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

My right click is not working in my laptop & am not using mouse .I am unable to save a file when I use right click to save it.

Pls advice

9.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 06:00

Hi Dels Deli,

Thanks for your post.

The right click and left click buttons are located here:

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Robert

1 Message

June 3rd, 2015 06:00

my new del does not even have right click and left click buttons

i have no idea how to work the spell check

whos stupid was it not to have right and left click mouse buttons ?

1 Message

January 15th, 2016 07:00

I had the same problem but i folled this tutorial http://www.xtremeloaded.com/6100/dell-keyboard-right-click-button-not-working-alternative-sol to make use of my right click button key

1 Message

May 21st, 2016 05:00

hi Dell

My Touch paid right and left button not working .please give sloution

Regards ,

Irfan ahmed

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 09:00

Touch driver might be the reason behind it. First download Touchpad drivers. And setup touchpad using mouse properties.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2016 22:00

You need to have synaptics touchpad driver as most dell laptops are equipped with synaptics  

No Events found!