Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2015 02:00

Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Fan problem

Hello Dell,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 laptop with an intel core i7-3517U processor. I recently had an issue with my audio jack and since the laptop was in warranty, I used dell's support service, where I was told that they had replaced the entire motherboard. That's when my problems began.

First of all, my Windows 7 installation couldn't boot or be repaired, so I did a fresh install of Windows. Now I am having this problem, where the fan runs at an extremely high speed, even though the cpu is under a small load and at low temperature, making the laptop extremely noisy.

I have the installed the latest version of the BIOS - A12. Running the diagnostic tests doesn't show any problems with the fan, so it is more likely to be a problem with the BIOS. I followed this guide http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/428053/EN and also cleaned my vents, but that didn't change anything. I should also add the it is definitely not an overheating issue, as the laptop is noticeably not hot to the touch, and the cpu temperatures are all below 48 degrees C with a cpu usage of around 10%.

For the record I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with all updates and updated drivers. Core temperatures have been collected using HWMonitor. I haven't had a problem like this on my previous Windows 7 installation, but I have had similar experiences with my dual booted Ubuntu/ Arch Linux. Is this likely to be a hardware issue, or a software one, and if so are there any steps I can take to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any help with this question.

2K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 15:00

Hi BVar,

You have already tried all the required steps. I suspect a fan failure and hence you might be facing the said issue.

If the system is still under warranty, then contact our phone support during business hours and get the fan replaced. You could also contact us via Twitter - @dellcares - open 24/7 and they can arrange for a service call based on your region.

Let us know if you have other questions.

No Events found!