Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2016 07:00

Dell Inspiron 15R startup issue

A few months ago, I began to have a problem where the laptop would not power on. When plugged in, the charging light is present. When the power button is pressed, the lights will turn on, but right after, all except the first light—and charging light if plugged up—will go off, then a second or two later, the first will turn off and there will be a clicking sound followed by the laptop turning back off. The screen is at no point responsive and the DVD compartment will not open. There are no beeps, the only sound (other than the single click on the right side of the laptop) is the fan as the laptop attempts to start up. I'm hoping to be able to resolve the problem on my own to prevent the eminent crying and depression of buying a new laptop. Only joking, but I do hope to be able to fix my laptop, as it always works well and laptops are expensive!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 1st, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suspect a hardware failure ,since the system is not coming up to the Dell logo not coming up .Kindly check if there are any beeping noise that comes up .

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 16:00

No beeps. Not a single one. The click comes from the far side of the hard drive, but the hard drive works fine when put in a different laptop. I have moved around and rearranged the memory modules with no change. Cleaned out the fan and the rest of the laptop, no change in the laptop. The laptop is out of warranty and is a 15R-5521.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 17:00

I have the same problem only my fan starts for about 10 seconds then computer shuts down. 

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 17:00

Mine does, also. Fan and everything else run for a couple seconds before the click and shut down. Time range varies.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 18:00

You may want to try a new OEM Dell AC adapter (or stop by a shop that will let you test one) but the click sound is likely a sign of a faulty mainboard).  Unfortunately on this system, replacing that meas replacing the CPU as well (the CPU is soldered to the mainboard) -- you're looking at between $150 for a board with a Celeron CPU to around $300 for one with an i7 CPU, and that's just the part - not the labor to have it installed.

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 20:00

Thanks, I've tried with 3 different adapters. I believe that it's probably the motherboard, and at this point I don't think it's worth fixing, as the laptop is now aged regardless. Time to start laptop hunting.
No Events found!