Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 03-30-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 15R - stuck in continuous automatic repair loop / general problems since purchase (2 weeks ago)

Hi I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15R direct from Dell 2 weeks ago and have had nothing but problems. The first time I switched it on I got the message "checking media: fail" , "check media: fail"...which sounds like a potential issue...however I thought nothing of it as the laptop still worked. I have then had the message that there is an issue with the hard drive. At the moment I am unable to even log in to the laptop as it is stuck on a continuous loop on the "preparing automatic repair"...I have left it for 2 hours and it just keeps looping. I have not loaded any program's onto the laptop or downloaded any program's.....I have literally browsed the Internet a couple of times. Please can you advise what to do...this is meant to be a brand new laptop ?! Thanks Andy
Solutions (4)

Accepted Solutions
4 Beryllium

Hi Andy,

Apologies for an unpleasant experience with the new laptop. Please share the exact model of the system as there are various model available for Dell Inspiron 15R and operating system installed. Also, run diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

10 Diamond

Inspiron 15R 5521

Hard Drive Read Error     2000-0151

The drive is likely toast.

Computer Model  Inspiron 15R 5521
Shipping Date7/23/2013
Country    United Kingdom

This forum is not DELL UK Warranty Support.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

4 Beryllium

Hi Andy,

Apologies for all the inconvenience caused. Please remove the service tag from public view for security reasons.

The error message displays hard drive failure and replacement is required. You must have received a validation message as well along with this error code. Please share that as well with me. Also, reply with the below mentioned information in a private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

• Your Complete Name
  • Contact Number
  • Email Address
  • Address where you want the service to be done
  • Best time to reach you

I will arrange for the laptop repairs under warranty for you. Please reply with the information.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I purchased a dell inspiron 11 notebook and it just keep saying automatic repair and diagnose pc keeps on blinking on what to do

Replies (14)
10 Diamond

Drive has likely been bonked and needs to be replaced.  Automatic repair cannot fix physical damage.

If the drive is fine you may be able to reinstall windows from scratch but I doubt that.:emotion-9:

here

Diagnostics & Tools

4 Beryllium

Hi Andy,

Apologies for an unpleasant experience with the new laptop. Please share the exact model of the system as there are various model available for Dell Inspiron 15R and operating system installed. Also, run diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi - thanks for both of your swift responses - much appreciated.

I have run the diagnostics and get the following error code - 2000-0151

I had no problems at all with my previous Dell laptop and so it's disappointing that my brand new one has had issues on arrival - I'm not one usually to complain!

Thanks for your help

Andy

10 Diamond

Inspiron 15R 5521

Hard Drive Read Error     2000-0151

The drive is likely toast.

Computer Model  Inspiron 15R 5521
Shipping Date7/23/2013
Country    United Kingdom

This forum is not DELL UK Warranty Support.

here

Diagnostics & Tools

4 Beryllium

Hi Andy,

Apologies for all the inconvenience caused. Please remove the service tag from public view for security reasons.

The error message displays hard drive failure and replacement is required. You must have received a validation message as well along with this error code. Please share that as well with me. Also, reply with the below mentioned information in a private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

• Your Complete Name
  • Contact Number
  • Email Address
  • Address where you want the service to be done
  • Best time to reach you

I will arrange for the laptop repairs under warranty for you. Please reply with the information.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi

Just to update anyone who sees this post - Saharsh (above) contacted me privately and arranged a Dell Engineer to come out and fix the problem.  The Engineer came yesterday (13th August) so within a week and now my laptop is back working.  Overall while obviously disappointing that there was an issue with the laptop when it first arrived....a very swift and satisfactory response from Dell once the issue had been highlighted.

Thanks

Andy

4 Beryllium

Hi Andy,

Glad we could help by fixing your issue. In case of a similar situation in future, you can always refer to the link . Feel free to reach out to us on Support Site for any help.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I purchased a dell inspiron 11 notebook and it just keep saying automatic repair and diagnose pc keeps on blinking on what to do

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, I am having this same exact problem, same error code and all. Can you help me?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor