Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2015 19:00

Dell Inspiron 15R wont turn on (continuous beeping)

Dell Inspiron 15R (5537) suddenly wouldn't want to start. When boot up, nothing seem to appear, blank screen, no logo, no text, nothing. there is a continuous beeping, it not 2 beep or 5 beep or any number of beep, it just beep continuously, never ending, until I turn off the laptop. 

Did some searching around on the web, forum, and so far I attempted:

-Checked ram and hard-drive to see if it fully connect.

-Turn off computer, unplug battery and ac power, press the power button for 30 sec.

still haven't resolve the problem yet.

Next, I try to do a Pre-boot System Assessment, FN+Power. Took SEVERAL attempt to finally got it to run Pre-boot System Assessment. Hold FN + Power, hear beeping, turn it off, Hold FN + Power, hear beeping, turn it off.

Did that for about 20 times and finally got Pre-boot System Assessment instead of the beeping. 

postimg.org/.../90zcsy193

This is the result I got from it, Currently doing the remaining memory test. It taking a long time, ill have an update once that is done, it stuck on 98%. 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 28th, 2015 13:00

This paper discusses troubleshooting steps for notebooks that are not turning on.  Typically it could be one of three issues,  No power (no power to the notebook), No post (the system has power but is not fully turning on), or No boot (the system has power, it is turning on, but it is not booting to the Operating system).

From your post it is obvious that the notebook has power,  but it isn't fully turning on.  I would have to say that this is a No post problem. This paper will go over further troubleshooting steps to help determine the problem.

If the notebook is not starting up or showing a blank screen:

1. Remove any peripheral devices that are attached to the computer.
    Peripherals include:
    • Printers
    • Scanners
    • Media Card Readers
    • Mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets or portable digital assistants or MP3 players
    • Digital cameras or video recorders
    • USB storage devices
    • Remove the computer from a docking station if it is in one
    • Remove any CDs or DVDs in the optical drive
  2. Remove the AC adapter from the computer and remove the AC power cord from the wall outlet.
  3. Remove the computer's battery. For instructions on how to do this, consult the Online Owner's Manual.
  4. Press and hold the computer power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Insert the AC adapter plug and make sure it is seated properly.
  6. Plug in the AC power cord to a known good working outlet.
  7. Press the power button to see if the computer turns on.
  8. If the computer starts, turn it off and put the battery back in.
  9. Press the power button to see if the computer turns on.
  10. If the computer starts, turn it off and continue replacing peripheral components until you determine
    which one is causing the failure.

Please let me know if this helps out.

TB

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 14:00

I am considering to remove the hardrive and placing it into another laptop, run the factory restore process and place the harddrive back into the dell.

Is this recommended?

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 14:00

This paper discusses troubleshooting steps for notebooks that are not turning on.  Typically it could be one of three issues,  No power (no power to the notebook), No post (the system has power but is not fully turning on), or No boot (the system has power, it is turning on, but it is not booting to the Operating system).

From your post it is obvious that the notebook has power,  but it isn't fully turning on.  I would have to say that this is a No post problem. This paper will go over further troubleshooting steps to help determine the problem.

If the notebook is not starting up or showing a blank screen:

1. Remove any peripheral devices that are attached to the computer.
    Peripherals include:
    • Printers
    • Scanners
    • Media Card Readers
    • Mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets or portable digital assistants or MP3 players
    • Digital cameras or video recorders
    • USB storage devices
    • Remove the computer from a docking station if it is in one
    • Remove any CDs or DVDs in the optical drive
  2. Remove the AC adapter from the computer and remove the AC power cord from the wall outlet.
  3. Remove the computer's battery. For instructions on how to do this, consult the Online Owner's Manual.
  4. Press and hold the computer power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Insert the AC adapter plug and make sure it is seated properly.
  6. Plug in the AC power cord to a known good working outlet.
  7. Press the power button to see if the computer turns on.
  8. If the computer starts, turn it off and put the battery back in.
  9. Press the power button to see if the computer turns on.
  10. If the computer starts, turn it off and continue replacing peripheral components until you determine
    which one is causing the failure.

Please let me know if this helps out.

TB

I did what you told me, there is power coming it, it just wont start, like i can hear the fan running, the power led is lid up, it just wont boot into anything, screen is blank and there is a continuous beeping sound, beep ... beep ... beep .. beep..  beep ... beep ... beep .. beep..  beep ... beep ... beep .. beep..  beep ... beep ... beep .. beep..  beep ... beep ... beep .. beep..  beep ... beep ... beep .. beep.. it goes on and on.

if i keep turning it on and off, if im lucky, very rarely, it boot into the OS or into Pre-boot System Assessment. Once it boot into the window OS, i attempt to do a factory reset, but as soon as it restart it fail to continue and just beep.

any other suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 30th, 2015 14:00

If you are comfortable with the system you can try isolating the system board as much as possible and then try powering on.   The idea here is to see if the system board shows any activity by itself, and if so then figure out what component other than the system board is causing the problem.  Remove the following:

AC adapter

Battery

SD Card

Base Door

Memory

Optical drive

Hard drive

Keyboard.

Once the components have been removed plug in one memory module and the AC adapter and start the system. Does the system start up,, it should give a no bootable device error but you should be able to get into the BIOS, run diagnostics and so forth.

If no go, test with the other memory module, or try the other socket. See if the problem is with one of the memory modules, or one of the memory sockets. If testing the memory in either socket doesn't make a difference and nothing changes, you will need to replace the system board.

If you can get the system up into the BIOS and running diagnostics plug in your hard drive next and see if the system boots. If the problem worsens after putting in the hard drive, it is possible defective and it may need to be replaced.

If you can get into Windows now you are probably out of trouble and will be able to repair the notebook with little or no expense.  Continue inserting the rest of the devices one by one and see if the notebook continues to boot.  If so you are good and have just repaired the notebook, the problem was likely by one of the memory modules shorting out the notebook.

If the system stopped turning on after adding a device it is likely that the last device added was causing the problem and will need to be replaced.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 06:00

I'm having this exact same problem here and have tried the first few steps of powering with nothing plugged in and 'depowering' without battery in etc and it doesn't help. Mine is a bit more random though where over last 3 weeks it started and will sometimes turn on first time for 4 days, other days may take 2-3 tries then occasionally like today just won't turn on at all. Any suggestions?

4 Posts

July 4th, 2015 14:00

You should check the beep codes here. My Inspiron 15 (3521) is continuously beeping but mine is a single beep. I used to be able to reboot a couple of times and it would go away and let me boot into windows. Now it won't post to BIOS screen and just beeps. Looked up the beep codes and it says its a BIOS corruption. Called Dell Tech Support and they said I would need a new motherboard and its outside of 1 year warranty. I just bought someone's used Inspiron on ebay to use their good motherboard. Do me a favor and check your RAM. I have 2 RAM sticks in mine that are Kingston and Crucial. I know its not good to mix manufacturers and wondering if that's the issue. 

3 Posts

August 24th, 2015 11:00

I tried doing the above, doesn't help. Still beeping. 7 beeps and power goes off.  Screen is black and when I power it, it beeps 7 times and goes off again. My very important data is in that laptop and I am worried what will happen. Please help

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 24th, 2015 18:00

To recover the data from the hard drive, remove the drive, mount it into a 2.5" external case and attach it to a working system by USB. 

Copy the data to the host system's drive.

Seven beeps is a mainboard or CPU failure - on the 3521, they're one unit, so the mainboard/CPU needs replacement.

3 Posts

August 24th, 2015 23:00

The beeping has changed from 7 to 4 now.  What does it mean?

1 Message

November 16th, 2015 07:00

My labtop inspiron 15 R refuses to turn on. Only can be heard a beep once each second when the power on switch is pressed The sequence of LEDs that are on is: Ac Cord, computer On, hard disks is on for a second, but not booting and the monitor is black the whole time . The battery and the ac cord are good. could you please help me?
Thanks a lot
Luis

Bogota colombia

1 Message

March 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi

I have the exact same problem. And the problem got worse, some weeks before it booted after removing the battery, today NOTHING....any indication?

Kr

3 Posts

August 4th, 2016 10:00

Did you ever solve this issue?  My laptop is useless, just beeping and black screen.  It used to beep and eventually start up if I heated it up with an electric blanket.  I am at a loss, and would love to know if you were able to fix this.  So frustrating!  I have hardly used this device.  Thank you for any insight.

Lissa

3 Posts

August 4th, 2016 11:00

I spent an hour this morning, turning it on holding down fn and power button (about 30 times), and it finally booted up, not pinging.  

Do you know if there is any diagnostic scan I can run to determine what the problem is?  I feel like I am throwing $600 out the window with this laptop.  (I am running a hardware scan at the moment, hoping it will tell me if that is the problem, although it has been running for over an hour now.)

Thanks so much, Bryan, for responding.  Will keep my eye on Ebay.

4 Posts

August 4th, 2016 11:00

Only way I fixed my issue was to buy a used laptop on ebay that had a busted screen and used its motherboard for mine.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2016 02:00

YEah I got it repaired in the end needed a new motherboard, cost me a couple of hundred

No Events found!