Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 25th, 2016 13:00

Dell Inspiron 17 5767 - Second HDD in CD-ROM caddy

Hello,

I'm having problems with my WD blue 1TB HDD (which came originally with the laptop) being recognized using it in CD-ROM caddy.

I bought Dell Inspiron 17 5767 like a month ago, and of course I want to upgrade it with SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB), and then use original HDD instead of CD-ROM.

I already read the post: en.community.dell.com/.../19536697

I have Salcar caddy, which is proven good, already in previous 2 laptops, one HP and one Dell. Also the current one with this HDD was tested in older Dell and the disk is recognized and works superb. So from this I can conclude, the caddy and the disk are completely fine, something must be wrong on my new Dell side. 

I upgraded BIOS (to 1.09), SATA and other drivers yesterday ... nothing changes. 

The OS (on the SSD) is original as got from Dell, as the data was migrated with the Samsung utility from original HDD to SSD. Then HDD was formatted, currently has only one partition. 

In BIOS I disabled Virtual machine and LAN boot settings, as they are not needed. Also, LPM is disabled, as suggested in other post. But still no change. 

The HDD in caddy is not recognized in BIOS, nor Windows, nor Disk Management, nor CMD (diskpart).

I also tried to create smaller partition, about 850 GB, still not recognized. I didn't try with smaller than 750 GB, maybe should do this, but I don't believe this is a problem.

I bet there are other users out there with the same problems - did anyone got this working? Any other ideas what to try?

Did Dell give any official anouncement why this is not working with Inspirons (and on the other hand it works with other Dell recent models)? 

Or is just simply true that Dell Inspiron and SDD as primary with HDD in CD-ROM caddy won't ever work? This would be such a shame for Dell ... 

Please share your thoughts or ideas.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

3 Posts

January 27th, 2017 20:00

Have you found a solution to the problem?

I'm planning to do the similar upgrade on the same laptop, While searching for SSD/HDD caddy on eBay, I've noticed that many of the vendors mention that their caddies have " Updated SATA board included fix for shutdown problem with 2nd HDD/SSD". Sometimes it's called Dell shutdown problem. Have no idea what that is and whether it's relevant to your situation, however, your drive is not brand new, you used it for some time already, so it may not have such a fix.

Regards

No Events found!