Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

7 Posts

June 15th, 2008 22:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 audio playback choppy/skipping problem

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and any time I attempt to play mp3's with either Media Monkey or even Windows Media player, I get a slight choppy or skipping sound.  I have looked at task manager and both my CPU usage and Memory never get above 45%.  I have Windows Vista installed.  Could this be the problem?  I believe the audio device is SigmaTel.  When I do a search for new audio drivers, it states that they are all up to date.  Please help!  I am at my wits end here!

Thanks! 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 16th, 2008 01:00

Have you seen question #14 in the FAQ -- the 1st thread on this board?

Jim 

June 16th, 2008 10:00

Hey Jim.  Thanks for your response.  I did read over this but I have a wireless n card.  Forgive me if I am missing something but I just assumed that since that FAQ post deals with a/g wireless settings, this would not apply to me, thus, it wouldn't help.  I did see that there is a new Sigmatel driver that was just posted Friday on Dell's website but it did not help either.  My BIOS version is up to date as well, although I don't know if that would help or not either.  Thanks again for your help!

178 Posts

June 16th, 2008 11:00

Like the FAQ says you need to "disable audio enhancements" in Speaker properties.

This is a known issue with basically every Dell notebook and currently there is no solution.

Failing that you can revert your driver to the default Intel High Definition Audio one.

Message Edited by Ledward on 06-16-2008 10:22 PM

June 16th, 2008 12:00

Thanks Ledward.  I think I have already tried that but it can't hurt trying it again this evening.  Does the recommendation of dissabeling my network card apply to me as well?  I have a wireless n minicard.  Again, thanks for your help on this.  It's frustrating spending close to $1500 on a laptop that can't play mp3's!

June 16th, 2008 20:00

Well, I have tried disabling the wireless card and turning off all audio enhancements and neither one has worked.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

1.1K Posts

June 19th, 2008 11:00

bluenote27:

Try downloading the following driver:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista

Let me know if it makes a difference with this issue.

Thanks,
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_B on 06-19-2008 07:15 AM

1.1K Posts

June 19th, 2008 19:00

bluenote27:

Thanks for the update.

Let me dig a little further on this. Most other users were able to have the issue resolved using the tips in our FAQ, however that doesn't appear to help in your situation.

June 19th, 2008 19:00

Hey Chris.  Thanks for helping.  I try to download the update but I get the following error:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.  Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer

June 20th, 2008 11:00

sounds good Chris.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Hopefully, we can get this straightened out!

1.1K Posts

June 20th, 2008 15:00

bluenote27:

How do MP3's sound when using Media Direct outside of the OS?

June 22nd, 2008 15:00

Hey Chris,

Well, the mp3's sound fine through Media Direct.  Just for kicks I opened up Media Monkey and they now sound fine there too.  I did download Vista Anti-lag although I don't know if that was the solution since mp3's don't sound choppy anymore with the anti-lag not activated.  I really wish I knew for sure what the solution was for sure to help others.  Hopefully, the problem won't come back!!!  Thanks for your help Chris. 

1 Message

August 27th, 2014 08:00

Hello!

I am somewhat a computer repair person around where I live. I was brought a inspiron 1720 laptop with what seemed like an audio skip problem that happens every second. Its small, but annoying to watch video or listen to music. Something I noticed was it was also causing video lag every second. Even in the BIOS, or windows boot screens, I was noticing a split second skip, every second. 

I disabled a bunch of settings in the BIOS, one option at a time, to no avail . I decided to unplug the laptop from the wall, and suddenly the skipping went away! Plugged it back in, and the skipping returned. Tried a different power supply, and the skipping is also seemingly gone. 

So it seems that the power adapter, at least in this case, was the problem. How that is possible I have no idea. I have never had this problem on any other dell laptop I have. Hope this helps in trying to figure out the problem!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 1st, 2014 06:00

Thanks for posting. I added your tip to section 2 of the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ.

No Events found!