Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2009 11:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 cpu upgrade

good day everyone!

I'm here to ask for help again with my cpu upgrading. In fact I've seen several mobile core2duo processors however I have no idea of this notebook's internal architecture. Not to mention I can't find anything on the internet also. For some magic in the past few weeks I've found that no matter how I want I can't upgrade the gef8600m GT video card in it, because only the 8400 and 8600 cards are supported. Now I'm at the cpu part. I want a cpu that supports sse4.1 also so at first I've found the T9300 core2duo cpu. It has 800MHz FSB speed, and the main thing is that I was wondering if this notebook supports 1066MHz FSB. Also I would like to ask if I can/have to change the cpu fan/coolers for a stronger cpu?

Thanks for every help!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2009 12:00

This system has no support for CPUs with faster than 800 MHz bus requirements.  You cannot change the heatsink assembly, so you will need to reuse what you have (nothing else will fit).

Given the relative intolerance of the nVidia chip in the video card for thermal cycling, be VERY careful if you go faster - you could well hasten the demise of an already under-engineered GPU chip.

14 Posts

July 9th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the information about the cpu. I think I'll just stay by the T9300 processor then. It has 800MHz FSB and 2.5GHz frequency. As a matter of fact I have no idea if it's a good choice if I can't change the heatsink, because I'm not sure if the current one will be able to cool that cpu... Even with this T2390 1866Mhz it has problems. Sometimes I have to let it to cool down around 78-79°C.

1 Message

September 4th, 2011 21:00

I have the same machine and have been running a T7700 2.4Ghz since day i bought it with out issues also have the 8600 video. hope this helps you some.

January 24th, 2012 16:00

Maybe you can get a cooler fan table under it, Even people around me said me that it wont get better, it works my laptop fan start to work if I do something full work Gpu and Ram both like render or working on heavy graphic project on PsCs5. Also make it 4 gb ram you feel the speed ! ;) 

I hope it will be helpfull 4u 

No Events found!