Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2013 10:00

Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 doesn't work with charger. Charger is not recognized. Not charger problem.

My Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 doesn't recognize charger any more. And unfortunately my warranty expired 2 month ago.
It was plugged in and working in the morning, but then in the afternoon I noticed that it was running on the battery only. It wont start without battery (just charger plugged in).

1. So here what I have done to debug. Me and my brother, we have purchased the same Dell laptops at the same time a year and a bit ago. This is why for a debugging purposes it was good.
I took my charger and plugged in to his computer. And it works. Definitely not the charger issue I guess. And when I plug charger in to my computer, green light is still on the charger. And I have the original charger that came with the laptop.

2. Now, laptop works on the battery only, so this means that motherboard is working. I guess.

3. Next thing I did was unplugged charger and removed the battery from the laptop. Then I pushed and hold "Power" button for 45 seconds to discharge a flea charge. Plugged charger back in but laptop wont start.

4. Next I started laptop on the battery, went to BIOS and checked if the charger is recognized in the BIOS. No, it doesn't recognize charger. So, if it is not a charger then what else can it be?

5. Laptop doesn't have any strange smells so I'm not sure if anything happened with the motherboard, but I would assume mother board is ok because it works of the battery.

6. I was thinking updating the BIOS, but I can't, because it wont update while laptop runs on the battery, it requires to be plugged in.

Now I'm stuck. I don't know what else I can do. I'm willing to spend a little bit more money on it to try fixing it.

If anybody had such problem in the past please let me know what have you done and whether it fixed it.
Or if anybody have other ideas, I'll be happy and appreciated the help.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2015 20:00

Fluvin, thank you. Microsoft rolled out 27 updates today, and suddenly my Inspiron 17R wouldn't charge. I tried a second adapter, and still the same issue. I followed your steps, and it worked like a charm. 

2 Posts

November 1st, 2015 15:00

I have the same problem. Fluvins answer looks good but for the small problem that I can't turn on the computer with the ac adapter as it won't recognize it and if I try with battery well it's dead but the post says plug in without battery and use ac adapter but I can't change software settings if I can't turn on computer. Could I buy a battery and do the changes on battery power. Not sure how to get around this.

1 Message

April 24th, 2016 02:00

Fluvin. Thanks for your post. I thought I was hosed.

3 Posts

April 24th, 2016 05:00

Any chance you have an unusually large percentage of your disk space allocated to system protection?

1 Message

May 7th, 2016 20:00

I have been having the same problems and a local computer repair guy clued my existing connector to the motherboard but of course, the battery still isn't charging. So, I just wanted to say thanks for the link to the DC-in Connector and that I just purchased it!

Tracy

November 4th, 2016 13:00

We have seen this particular model several times in the course of our computer repair business.  They always have loose or broken power connectors and usually the laptop base is broken too, so the power jack is moving around.  Replacing the power jack is what will fix the "plugged in, not charging issue.  You will see a broken orange wire when you take out the old power jack, which was likely caused by the loose power jack.  You will pay about $15-$20 for the power jack on Amazon.

August 12th, 2017 20:00

You're an angel. Thank you so much for this tip. My laptop worked completely fine after I used this suggestion provided by you. Thanks a bunch. 

August 12th, 2017 20:00

You're an angel. Thank you so much for this tip. My laptop worked completely fine after I used this tip of yours.

No Events found!