Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 19th, 2016 06:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 Laptop Won't Power On?

I've just done a clean install of W10 on my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop. I turned off the laptop last night when the battery was about half discharged.

I tried turning on the laptop today after it had been off 18 hours and it was completely dead - there was no response to the power on button and no charging light despite the charger outputting the correct voltage.

I read online about removing the battery so I did this. I removed the battery, pressed the power button for 60s then plugged in the power lead and hey presto the laptop started! I then put the battery back in and started W10 fine. The battery showed 56% charge so the battery wasn't flat.

I'm mystified why this happened - does anyone have an explanation? I can only think there was a poor battery connection which prevented the laptop starting and removing and replacing the battery cured this.

I've also discovered on Googling the problem that some Dell batteries shut down after a certain number of charge cycles. Is there a utility program available which lets you check how many charge cycles the battery has been exposed to and how close the battery is to its end of life.

34 Posts

Yes, the Dell support page shows it is supported and lists the Windows 10 drivers.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

You might want to Google Windows 10 + laptop batteries.

I seem recall reading about complaints. Don't remember.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

You'll want to check if this model laptop has been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954/EN

3 Posts

February 6th, 2016 13:00

This fix has been working for me during the last week, and simple to reverse if needed

www.howtly.com/solved-dell-inspiron-wont-shutdown-completely

34 Posts

February 6th, 2016 23:00

In my case the laptop refused to start when the battery was 56% charged so my problem was not due to the computer failing to shut down and draining the battery.

Resetting the battery enabled the PC to start again. I'm still mystified what caused my problem.

No Events found!