Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

UA

September 19th, 2008 20:00

Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini 9) and SDHC memory cards

Yesterday I got my Mini 9 and I am very delighted. Unfortunately the technical informations from Dell about this netbook are incomplete. I cannot find any information about the cardreader. As the built in SSD has only 16 GB, I like to extend the memory with a 8 or 16 GB SDHC. But first I must get the information, if it will work.

12 Posts

September 19th, 2008 22:00

I purchased a 16BG Sandisk Ultra II SDHC card from Amazon. This is the same card Dell now offers as an option when purchasing a mini. I think it cost about 65 bucks which is a fantastic price.

73 Posts

September 24th, 2008 20:00

Short answer?  Absolutely, it will work.

I, too, use a 16GB SDHC card with my mini 9. 

October 4th, 2008 21:00

A quick search of Amazon.com shows several options on these memory cards. I see some of them are designated as "class 6" and are more expensive. I assume this "class 6" thing may mean they are faster. If that is true would the mini 9 take advantage of this?

73 Posts

October 4th, 2008 22:00

That is correct.

Class 6 is currently the fastest class of SDHC memory cards.  The dell mini 9 can use these cards.  I currently use a Transcend 16GB SDHC class 6 card for readyboost for Vista Business x32 on my dell mini 9. 

1 Message

October 7th, 2008 15:00

This may be a dumb questions but does having a SDHC card in my 910 use any / much power if I'm not accessing the card?  I have a 16GB Transcend card and would like to just leave it in my Mini 9 but I want to make sure this won't effect battery life in any meaningful way?  Thanks.

73 Posts

October 7th, 2008 17:00

Yes, it will, if you are using ReadyBoost.  Readyboost uses the space you have set aside on your SD card as a kind of cache before it goes to the regular disk.  Even though the underlying disk speed tends to be slower than most modern disks, accessing the SD card device itself is quicker which makes referencing cached information from ReadyBoost faster than paging to disk.  Think of it like a super swap file.  You are not asking for something from the drive letter in windows but if you are doing something that has information saved to readyboost, it will refer to the disk in the course of read and write operations.

If you are not using ReadyBoost in Vista (which is off by default and you must enable), probably very miniscule impact. 

1 Message

September 1st, 2011 11:00

I have a DELL inspiron mini 1010,I just bought 2 Deer trail cameras,they have SD cards,how do I play the cards in my laptop

No Events found!