Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2017 07:00

Dell Inspiron M5010 BIOS update failure - black screen

Hello,

I updated BIOS M5010A12, but after restart my computer is dead, no beeps, just power led is ON and DVD drive is checking for disk.

I browsed a lot and I just found steps for bios recovery for N5010, I have M5010.

I copied .rom and .hdr file extracted from bios to USB stick formated to FAT (256MB), 

removed battery, inserted USB to all connectors, put power cable while holding "End" button.

Laptop powered up, but nothing happened. Power LED is on, but screen is still black.

Please, help. Laptop is out of waranty and I don't want to spend money for programming flash via programmer.

Thanks folks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2017 07:00

If you've waited for 20-30 min to see if the recovery worked to no effect, you really don't have another option at this point.  It'll likely cost about what a replacement board does to have the BIOS chip unsoldered, flashed and resoldered.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

That said, $150 is a lot to spend on a system this old.  It may make more sense to replace the system.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2017 09:00

It can take a while - if you see nothing after that period of time, the board needs to be replaced (or the BIOS chip needs to be replaced or flashed externally).

2 Posts

March 14th, 2017 08:00

Hi ejn63, is it necessary to wait 20-30 mins?

I will try to. Thanks for reply.

No Events found!