Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2016 21:00

Dell Inspiron N4030 Maximum HDD and RAM capacity

Hello. I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron N4030 (with Pentium processor, running Windows 7 Ultimate) to the maximum specifications allowable by the system, but I have heard different maximum specifications from different sources, and I can't find official information from Dell to know for sure what is compatible. The website that I am buying the components from (crucial.com) guarantees that I can use a 1TB solid state drive and 2x4GB RAM modules without a problem, but I have also heard that 6GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD space is all that the system will accept.

These are the components that I want to use:

(Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT500MX200SSD1)

(Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM - CT2294998)

Any help would be very much appreciated, I have looked all over for this information and gotten nowhere. Thank you :)

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 03:00

Hi JDWATTS,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Following is the various configuration supported on your system:

Memory:    Minimum - 1 GB / Maximum - 6 GB

Connectors: Two SODIMM connectors

Capacities1GB / 2GB and 4GB

Type: 1333 MHz SoDIMM DDR3

Hard Drive:    Internal Fixed SATA HDD 2.5"

Base configuration: 160GB 5400RPM

Maximum Capacity (Tested): 500 GB (5400 RPM) 

2nd Internal Fixed HDD: Not available

SSD: Not available

Hope the above information is helpful.

Please private message us if you have further query along with the system service tag along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information)

4 Posts

June 15th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for the information  I couldn't find it anywhere. So,  I'm assuming that it would be okay to install the 2x4GB RAM modules, even though only 6GB of it will be recognized by the system. When I entered my service tag code, I got a 404 error, saying that the information may no longer exist for this laptop. The reason why I'm asking about the maximum specifications is because I used crucial.com's compatibility tool and it said that it's guaranteed that I can install a 1TB solid state drive and 2x4GB RAM modules in this laptop, but there's no official information from Dell on this, except the information that you have given me. Is it possible that I could successfully install and use a 1TB solid state drive, but Dell isn't sure about the compatibility, so they won't recommend it? If crucial.com guarantees that the components work with my system and will back them with a full refund, is it worth the risk to go ahead and buy the solid state drive and test the compatibility myself, or is it definitely incompatible? Also, I have removed the DVD player in favor of a second hard drive caddy, and I would like to install a standard hard drive with the highest capacity possible. I have seen other people have success with a second hard drive in this laptop, but the specifications that you posted say "not available". I really want to push this laptop to its maximum specifications, as it belonged to my late mother, and I want to do everything to make this laptop as powerful as possible for the sentimental value. I will leave a link to crucial.com's compatibility results for my laptop, so you can see where I'm getting this conflicting information from. Thank you very much for everything, I really appreciate the help :)

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-n4030

4 Posts

June 16th, 2016 09:00

Understood. I'm going to attempt the upgrades that I asked about. I just hope that everything works okay when all is said and done. Thanks again for your help :)

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

June 16th, 2016 09:00

Hi JDWATTS,

Thank you for sharing these details.

As stated in the previous post, only 6GB RAM will be recognized and 500GB Hard drive has been tested.

Solid state Drive has not been tested with these system model.

We recommend the above configuration and any damages will not be covered.

4 Posts

June 17th, 2016 10:00

I received some more information on this topic. I have found the Dell Inspiron N4030 will indeed accept both an SSD or an HDD (up to 2TB), and 2x4GB RAM modules with no problems whatsoever. I'm very happy with my new and greatly improved Dell laptop. Now, all I need to know is if if will accept a backlit keyboard. Would you happen to know if it's possible to install one in this laptop?

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 10:00

Hi JDWATTS,

Do reach back to us if you have any query.

No Events found!