Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2012 16:00

Dell Inspiron N5040 internal microphone problems

Hello guys :) I have bought my Dell Inspiron N5040 in BestBuy store. It was working great, but suddenly, when i was about to try my Skype, I recognized that my microphone's volume is really low. I was trying to put it to max everywhere(control panel, etc.), but it didn't help. So I left it alone. The microphone was still on. Then, suddenly, when I was listening to music strange sound began to come out from speakers(it was like a disturbing beep, like something is scratching their fingers on the blackboard) and I began the investigation :), but unfortunatelly when I turned off my internal microphone the beep stopped. 

So plz tell me how to fix my microphone and if it is fixable at all. :(

June 4th, 2012 21:00

Hi  andrriygoblin,

Welcome to the community,

These are some of the steps that you can try in this case:

1. Please uninstall/reinstall the audio driver, you can go to Device Manager, right click on Audio driver and uninstall the driver and restart the computer.  

2. Also if you are getting any problem in Skype then please try to use the microphone in some other application like Sound Recorder etc.

3. You can disable the microphone sound from the speakers. Please go to the Control Panel-> Sound->Click on recording tab-> Click on Default Mic -> Properties. This will open the Microphone properties window. Please click on “Listen” tab and remove the check mark from "Listen to this device". Click Apply /OK.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Pankaj_Sharma

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

July 30th, 2012 16:00

Hello there)) thanks for your reply)

1. I tryed this, it didnt help, but the beeping sound disappeared.

2. Skype is not a problem, in sound recorder it's still the same result.

3. when I go to control panel>sound>recording tab> and the field is empty. i did click the listen tab took off check mark from "listen to this device".

I also tryed reinstalling my windows. but it didnt help, the microphone is really low, it looks like it cant hear me...

Plz reply and help me solve that problem)

July 30th, 2012 16:00

3.* sorry the field was empty because when i checked it, i deleted the driver and after installed it. So i did the step and it didnt help

1 Message

February 8th, 2013 15:00

I've had lots of problems with the internal microphone in my Dell Inspirion N5040. I use my computer alot for work and the microphone being so low is a HUGE problem for me. I've sent my laptop off to Dell to be repaired three times citing low microphone audio as an issue. Each time it has come back unresolved. It makes me so frustrated with Dell. I sometimes wish I had never bought the thing. In the IDT Audio control panel I had to increase the boost settings in the internal mic tab all the way to 20db which creates a lot of static and feed back when used with a headset. Then the saddest thing is it's better but not by much. People I communicate with tell me the interference is horrible and they can hear me but only just. They can also hear when I type or move around my laptop and other people in the background. I, too, have to mute the internal mic in the volume mixer to stop that annoying siren/beeping. It is sometimes so LOUD. It startles the bejeezies out of me. So far, I have found no help for it other than mute. Which is a real hassle when I work. I haven't found an upgrade or something I can download or a setting I can change to resolve it. Dell has so far hasn't offered many solutions. I don't like that I pay so much for my warranty and this problem seemingly can't be fixed. I know this posting is a few months old, but have you found any solutions to your mic issue?

No Events found!