Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2013 08:00

Dell Inspiron N5050 Touchpad Buttons not working

I need help. Yesterday my laptops touchpad was working fine, but now the button aren't functioning at all. I tried reinstalling the driver and restarting the computer but nothing happens.

1.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

Hi loi2014,

Please share the operating system installed.

Please check if the touchpad buttons are loose sticky or broken.

You may also check if the touchpad buttons are disabled from the touchpad settings. Double click on touchpad icon in notification area --> Click on 'Device Select' --> Check if the touchpad buttons are disabled. Enable if disabled --> Save settings.

If the issue still persists, you can try a system restore and restore it to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer. 

Please share the findings. 

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

first uninstall the current driver and go to support.dell.com and put your service tag and download and save in your desktop, then restart and then execute that .exe file , if that is not working then try system restore. that should work for sure. you may also go to properties and select appropriate compatibility mode, that worked previously.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2013 14:00

It's Windows 8 64-Bit

3 Posts

March 25th, 2013 22:00

I tried reinstalling the driver again and system restore but nothing worked. So, I'm guessing it's the actual button that are broken and need replacing.

1.8K Posts

March 26th, 2013 22:00

Hi loi2014,

Thank you for the information. 

You may try to update the system BIOS and check if the issue persists. Link to download system BIOS: http://dell.to/107PZiL

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

If issue persists after the BIOS update, it might be an issue with touchpad buttons of your computer and need replacement. If the computer is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag of your computer. You may send me the system information and contact details via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

Please reply with information.

May 7th, 2013 19:00

recently i upgraded my windows7 to 8 in inspiron n5050, but after that my touchpad has become extremly slow, i cant find the touchpad settings also. kindly help.

May 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi prasanna n5050,

It appears that the touchpad drivers might be missing. You may download the touchpad driver from Here. Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer when prompted.

Once the driver is installed you may change the touchpad settings by following the steps below :

• Press Windows + X button on keyboard
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click on Hardware and Sound
  • Click on Mouse -> Dell Touchpad 

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

1 Message

February 26th, 2014 22:00

Greetings,

go to the device manager click on mice and othe option then uninstall driver.....and restart the pc/laptop 

then it will install automatically.......it's work for me .....hope it's work for u also......:)

Thank you

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 22:00

I just fixed this and registered on here to respond to everyone having this issue.

I had the exact same issue. I finally got tired of it and opened up the laptop to figure out what was going on. Looks like there's a design flaw with the n5050 and a couple of other models that can cause the ribbon cable for the touchpad buttons to wiggle loose. All you need to do is take off the touchpad/palmrest disconnect the ribbon cable on the bottom of it for the click buttons(probably disconnected and dirty like mine was), blow gently to get dust out, and reconnect it. Here's a video tutorial that will take you through how to do this step by step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIAZFLVrqs It actually shows you how to replace it but if you just do what I did, take it apart and clean/re-seat the connectors, you should be fine.

The connector I'm talking about is the little tiny one going from the bottom of the click buttons to the bottom of the touchpad itself. It can be seen at 2:37 in the video at the top of the video coming out of the metal brackets under the click buttons and the connector is on the bottom of the clickpad. It's ity bitty and all of the ribbon cables are fragile so please be careful and do all this at your own risk.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

No Events found!