Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2014 23:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 won't boot

I have a Dell inspiron N5110 (Microsoft 7) that won't boot. The Dell logo appears with the F2 and F12 options but after loading, goes straight to a black screen. I am able to reset all of the settings and run the diagnostics but I don't get an error code. It says all systems have passed. I am unable to get into safe mode or any further than the Dell logo screen and the F2 and F12 commands and Microsoft won't load. What could the problem be?

Hi Kali94,

Welcome to community.

Follow below troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

Boot to the Last Known-Good Configuration:

• Power on the system.
  • Press when the message For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8 appears.
  • Choose Last Known-Good Configuration. 

Use System Restore to Revert to a Previous State:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  3. Press until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press .
  4. In the System Recovery Options window, click to select your language, and then click Next.
  5. Log in as a user with administrative rights, and click OK.
  6. From the Choose a recovery tool menu, click System Restore.
  7. In the System Restore window, click Next.
  8. Click the Show restore points older than 5 days checkbox for a complete listing of restore points.
  9. Click to select a restore point.
  10. Click Next and then click Finish.
  11. Click Yes in the confirmation window.
  12. Click Restart after system restore successfully completes.
  13. If you encounter any error messages during the restore process, follow the on-screen instructions to correct the error.

Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and power button. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

Hope this helps. Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist you further.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi Kali94,

Please follow the below steps for resolving the issue with system stuck at Dell logo.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
  3. Using the right arrow key move to ‘Advanced’ tab.
  4. Using the down arrow key move down to ‘SATA Mode’ and press ‘Enter’ button.
  5. Change the SATA operation in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
  6. Save changes in BIOS.
  7. Reboot the system.
  8. Go back into Bios (F2) and change SATA operation from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
  9. Save the changes.
  10. Restart the system.
  11. Now system should boot into the normal mode.
  12. Please restart the system multiple times to check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2014 08:00

The F8 function wouldn't bring anything up. It continued to the black screen like usual.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2014 08:00

It didn't work. It continued to go from the Dell screen to a black screen and do nothing else after each restart.
No Events found!