Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2013 12:00

Dell L702x Strange Speaker Problem

Hi everyone,

I will give a brief introduction of the laptop, I have had it for a while with absolutely no issues. I sold it on eBay last week, and the instant the buyer received it he complained the internal speakers are not working. I was really surprised because I have never had this issue before, the speakers have always worked. Anyway he demanded he wants to send it back for a full refund so I agreed, and yes the internal speakers suddenly do not work.

I had a look at what he had installed since having it and there was some strange audio things in there I have not heard of, so I uninstalled them and they still didn't work. I then did a complete fresh reinstall of Windows 7, formatting the hard drive in the process, and I was upset to find this also didn't work, even after installing chipset and audio drivers that I know previously did work.

I then thought maybe there is a slight bios glitch, so I took out the internal button battery and held the power button down to clear anything there, when I turned the laptop back on I heard a series of beeps from the internal speakers as it warned me the button battery is missing, at which point I thought WHEEEEEEEEEY ITS FIXED! so then proceeded to load in to Windows expecting it to work perfectly, and to my extreme disappointment it did not.

Then I did a full BIOS update to the latest (A19 I believe) and still, Windows will not play any audio what so ever.

So, I have labelled this post as "strange" because both internal speakers function perfectly in BIOS (well they beep anyway), but I cannot get them to work in Windows.

One strange thing I have noticed after re-installing Windows is in Device Manager, there are 5 "High Definition Audio Device"'s and 1 "Realtek High Definition Audio". Is this normal, or could this be related to the fault?

I would hugely appreciate any help someone can give.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

7 Posts

September 21st, 2013 07:00

Hello Graham. There is a fault that can occur in the headphone jack that prevents audio from going to the speakers but does allow it through headphones, and yet the speakers work in non-Windows environments such as BIOS, PSA tests, Linux. Have you tried listening through headphones yet?

Hi Jimco,  thanks for your response. This is interesting, yes I already tested the 2 headphone ports, one worked perfectly and one only gave sound from 1 speaker. I unsoldered the one that only gave sound from one speaker thinking there may be some kind of short but it still does not work. Could it then be the fully working jack?

Regards,

Graham

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello Graham. There is a fault that can occur in the headphone jack that prevents audio from going to the speakers but does allow it through headphones, and yet the speakers work in non-Windows environments such as BIOS, PSA tests, Linux. Have you tried listening through headphones yet?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Because the audio is coming through the headphones that means that the audio system is basically okay and the driver is functioning. Most likely the sense pin circuitry in one of the jacks is not working. The Headphone Jack FAQ explains the issue in detail.

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

Because the audio is coming through the headphones that means that the audio system is basically okay and the driver is functioning. Most likely the sense pin circuitry in one of the jacks is not working. The Headphone Jack FAQ explains the issue in detail.

Hi Jimco,

Thanks, any idea where I can get a replacement headphone jack for this model? 

Kind Regards,

Graham

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 05:00

There is an address in the FAQ in section 4.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=11826

Ebay is also a good place for parts.

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 08:00

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your help, I was really hoping I could just get the jacks instead of the whole board.

Regards,

Graham

1 Message

December 9th, 2013 06:00

Did you get this working? I'm having the same issue

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 9th, 2013 13:00

Hello. I realize that your message is to Graham, but I just want to point out that for you to know if you have the same issue as he had (failed sensor in the healphone jack), you should do some testing. First you should test whether or not your speakers work by running the PSA or ePSA tests.

1. Re-start the computer.
2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.

Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Press the button and check if you can hear the beep tones from the speakers.

If you do not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" button then do this. Start the PSA tests and when it performs the color test it will ask you if you see the color bars on the screen. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (press the "n" key) instead of yes. When you do that the PSA test will emit a series of beeps. Listen for the beeps.

If you don't hear the beep tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected. In that case probably the reason that audio is not coming through them is that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When that happens it prevents audio from being switched from the jack to the speakers.

To complete the diagnosis re-install your audio driver. If the problem remains then it's the jack. You may see an indication that one of the jacks has a plug in it even when there is not one.

7 Posts

December 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi there,

I did not manage to repair the jack, I ended up just purchasing a new audio board (the one with wifi and USB on it too). I couldn't tell you the model number of that board now since the laptop is long gone, but if you open it up I am sure you could get one relatively cheap off ebay! That is if the problem is the same as I had.

Regards,

Graham

No Events found!