Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

July 10th, 2007 08:00

Dell Latitude D420 CPU problem.

I bought a Dell Latitude D420 Core Duo 2 weeks ago. Our IT department installed the XP Pro for me to replace the XP Home. After install all the driveres, I only can see one CPU in the task manager. This is only one option in CPU history "One graph per CPU". In the Device manager, I can see two processors. Why can't I see two CPUs in task manager? Is there any way I can test two or one CPU are working in my laptop? BIOS v04, and enabled the multi-core function.

Another problem is that there is always an unknown device in the device manager list. Its location is "on Intel(R) 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller - 27B9" when reading its properties. All other info remains unknow. I tried installing all the drivers within the CD and from the web. The problem persists.

179 Posts

July 11th, 2007 21:00

So when you select "One Graph Per CPU" you don't see two graphs side by side?

In the device manager your computer type should be listed as an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"
You should also be able to right click any running process in the task manager and see the 'Set Affinity...' option

If you're seeing both processors in device manager you should be ok. 

the other problem sounds like it would be solved by installing the intel chipset driver, are you sure you did that one?

2 Posts

July 13th, 2007 15:00

thanks for replying.
I found the prob with the help from Dell tech support.
Since the system ordered with a Home edition, and the local IT people upgraded rather than FUll reinstall , it caused the problem. The computer in the device manager is ACPI not multiprocessor.

Hope this is a good , but rare lesson for other people,

cheers,

No Events found!