Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2012 11:00

Dell Latitude D630 faulty Nvidia chip

I bought a reasonably priced D630 from Ebay and was told that it was working correctly, however upon receiving it I discovered that there's some green/pink artifacts that appear on the screen, mainly when playing back video.

I called the person I bought it from and he said that I need to transfer the ownership from the previous business into my own name, which I did before. I'm awaiting a confirmation email for that. He said that after it's completed, I'll have an extra 5 months of warranty, which I was curious about. Is this true? The current warranty listed for the laptop's service tag has ended.

Obviously I'd like to get this laptop fixed, so can I still get a replacement motherboard fitted by Dell? If so, do I actually need to be under warranty, or will they do it anyway because the whole kerfuffle over dodgy Nvidia chips? I'd like to get a replacement board with the same chip, as I planned to do some light gaming on it. The Intel chips would be useless with that.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 14:00

I bought a used Dell D630 earlier this summer with the same issues.

Once the ownership was transferred, I was able to tap into a one year extension of the original warranty ONLY for the nVidia Quadro NVS 135M graphics card/chip - my motherboard & graphics chip were replaced under that warranty.

The laptop is working well (upgrade it to Windows 7 64-bit, 8gb RAM, and a larger hard drive). 

Although I bought a second Dell Latitude D630 as I was leaving on a trip and didn't want to be without a laptop.  Now I have two working D630s - one upstairs and one downstairs. 

I wouldn't mind selling one of them - but not until I have completed a current project (I've had to BUY a replacement computer before because the one I had quit working - neither were Dell computers.

Other than the one graphics card glitch (fixed under extended warranty) - I've had much better luck with my Dells than wtih other brands of laptop or desktop.

1 Message

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi.  Any idea what a new D630 motherboard from Dell with the NVidia chip would cost?

Thanks

11 Posts

June 4th, 2013 15:00

Checked - they don't offer them on their store.  You'd have to contact Tech Support for a quote.

Ebay and Amazon might have the mother board listed - (checked eBay - around $60 to $80 for just a refurbished motherboard - graphics may vary).  For slightly more, you can get the bottom "half" of the laptop to attach to your top half.....then see what happens.

For $160 to $200 or so, you can get a used (some of them refurbished) D630 that works - speed of coprocessors and amount of RAM may vary.  Hard drive may or may not be present.  It might be easier to slide your existing hard drive into a "new" laptop body and enter the Microsoft activation code from its sticker.

You'd have to get one with the same operating system on the sticker.

It depends on how good you are with taking things apart and then putting them back together......I've replaced a monitor in a laptop & a cell phone, upgraded a Wi-Fi card from G to N, and added a Bluetooth card - decided that I'd rather stick to replacing just the RAM and hard drive rather than taking the computer apart quite that far again.

But when the graphics card quit - I did NOTHING as I had no idea what to do (and knew from a laptop that had gone wonky three years earlier that I cannot solder anything as I have neither the tools, the training, nor a "clean room" to work in!).

No Events found!