Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 04:00

Dell Latitude E5540 - RAM problems

I had 4 GB RAM, and wanted to put 4 GB more. There are 2 slots, one is empty, so I bought new module exactly the same, but not the same brand, it's Kingston, and originally in laptop is Samsung. When I started the laptop on, the battery LED is blinking, I've found that means this :

The memory modules are detected but have encountered an error.

What to do? Is it possible that I can't upgrade RAM on this laptop? It supports 16 GB. Thanks in advance.

2K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 09:00

Hi HERCULES330121,

What is the specification of the new ram purchased and the old RAM on the system? What is the exact led pattern noticed? Does the system work with only the new module installed? Have you tried to swap the modules with the slots?

If the 2 modules are of different channels, then there is a possibility that it might not work.

Find the link for compatible memory modules as per Crucial - http://bit.ly/2fTbtSW

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 4th, 2016 00:00

Thanks for the answer, but I've found the solution. I've bought the same module, but voltage is 1.5V (as I expected to be). I had no clue there are 1.35V modules, called DDR3L, so I need to buy that one.

Thanks once again.

2K Posts

December 4th, 2016 10:00

Hi HERCULES330121,

Thank you for the update.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

No Events found!