Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2017 20:00

Dell Latitude E6520 & E-Port Plus 2 - Display port issue

As mentioned in the title I have both pieces of hardware.  I also just purchased a third Dell U2414H LCD monitor.  I am trying to connect all 3 via display port.  However it seems that all I can do is 2 monitors?  When I try to daisychain them I got 2 monitors mirroring each other and one through HDMI off the laptop.

Is this a physical limitation of the replicator?  Is there a firmware update somewhere?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 29th, 2017 21:00

The E6520 comes with Intel HD Graphics 3000.  The specs for that GPU are buried in the specs for the CPU itself, but if you go to ark.intel.com and look up your CPU, then scroll down to the graphics section and verify that it shows Intel HD Graphics 3000, you'll find that that GPU only supports 2 independent displays, which is why you see mirroring.  More recent Intel GPUs do indeed support 3 displays, but no Intel GPUs to my knowledge yet support 4.

If your E6520 has the NVIDIA discrete GPU, I can't find any information on NVIDIA's site about maximum number of supported displays, but based on your experience I would assume it's 2 unless indicated otherwise.

6 Posts

November 30th, 2017 05:00

And what about the dock?  I would like to be able to do Displayport MST.  Do those docks support that?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2017 06:00

The E-Port docks that include a pair of USB 3.0 ports in the back (they're blue) also support DisplayPort 1.2, including MST -- assuming your system, GPU, and drivers all support MST as well, of course, and I don't know if your system does.  The original E-Port docks that only include USB 2.0 ports do not seem to, since MST support was billed as a new feature for the updated E-Port dock.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2017 07:00

If your dock has USB 3.0 ports, it won't create an OBSTACLE in terms of using MST -- but as I said above, your system, GPU, and drivers all need to support it in the first place; the dock being MST-capable doesn't substitute for the requirements on those components.  I just don't remember whether that system and the Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU support MST.

6 Posts

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately it looks like i'm SOL.  the HD300 is not on the list.

6 Posts

Right now I have Ubuntu 17.x on there and it was saying I have a Intel HD3000.  So I may be SOL.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Well again, I'm not sure about MST either way on that GPU, but you should be able to find that out.  However, while looking for something else I did stumble on this Intel FAQ page dedicated to triple display configurations.  The GPU list linked in one of the FAQ items indicates that triple display support arrived with the Intel HD Graphics 4000.  That GPU also definitely supports MST since I have a system with that GPU where I've used it, but again I just don't know about the 3000.  Link: www.intel.com/.../graphics-drivers.html

6 Posts

So then I SHOULD be able to use MST out of 1 of the ports, right?  and use a single monitor on the other port.  Correct?  Or am I still being limited by the video card....?  

No Events found!