Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2017 10:00

Dell Latitude E7470 & Samsung 960 Pro NVMe Bios HD password issue

We have 600+ Dell Latitude laptops, with 170 of them being E7470 laptops, which support NVMe drives.

On a few E7470's & we added a Samsung 1TB 960 Pro M.2 NVME drives to them for testing. It is set to RAID on & legacy bios bootup in bios (not set to UEFI). I was able to load Windows 10 & everything is working as normal.

However, in the Bios HDD password under security, & the option is not there so I can enable it.. The actual option in the bios --> Security --> "Internal HDD-1 Password" is missing. Since this & most SSD's have full disk encryption already enabled, putting this ATA password makes the drive encrypted compliant (the ata password gets stored in the non-volatile memory of the SSD & is encrypted).

We have tried every option in the bios (setting admin/system password), changing to UEFI, AHCI, etc..

I am running the latest version of the Dell bios. Running the latest firmware for the Samsung 960.

When we put in another (non-NVMe drive) back into the E7470, the HD password option is there again. Dell is saying it is an issue with the Samsung 960 & that Dell supports ATA passwords on NVMe drives.

Anyone else set HD passwordson this SSD; especially anyone with a Dell?

Any ideas?
Thx

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 15th, 2017 08:00

1 Message

October 14th, 2017 14:00

Well, same here for Latitude E7470 and Intel 600p 1TB.

The password for SDD worked fine with (relatively) cheap Crucial and Hynix drives, but not with fancy Intel one. Shame.

8 Posts

October 19th, 2017 13:00

Don't claim to understand all of the nuances with M.2 and SATA and NVME, but if this is true (supported by the link you provided), why am I able to set this so-called password on the HDD in the BIOS of a Dell Precision 7520 (purchased less than 2 months ago) with a 512GB M.2 NVME drive? Based on the original poster's comment about Dell indicating it's a problem with specific drives and, considering we are attempting to do the same thing to Dell Precision 5510s that arrived last week, we are inclined to believe something far more sinister is at play here. As Greg_Ruet states, what a shame...we can't get a straight answer (with a detailed explanation).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2017 17:00

Interesting, that's the first I've heard of a Dell system being able to set a password on an NVMe-based drive.  The previous cases where that's been possible with M.2 drives have been those that talk over SATA rather than NVMe -- which very likely explains the post above for the "cheap" M.2 drives (SATA) allowing a password, but not the fancy (NVMe) drives.

I don't think the limitation is with specific drives, though, but rather with specific systems (or more precisely, BIOS firmwares).  People have installed NVMe drives that are known to support HDD passwords into Dell systems and still not seen an option to set them, but perhaps with newer systems and/or BIOS firmware releases like yours, Dell is starting to implement support for this.

I too would be interested to know why this hasn't been possible from the beginning, though. The article gives no explanation on that front.

No Events found!