Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2012 19:00

Dell Letitude C510/C610

I have a Dell C510/610 laptop, which is now giving sound problems. Can someone please help me out here.

I have tried downloading the driver available at the dell webside but it still doesn't work. when i check under device Manager it doesn't show as drivers are not loaded, i mean it shows as the device is working properly. But i don't get the sound icon at the bottom of the screen or when I try from start>Accessories>Entertainment>Sound Control a message apears saying i dont have a mixer device available.

what do i do to fix this problem.

I know this laptop is very old but im only using it to watch movies, as the new laptops dont come with S-Video connection.

Please help me as its a nightmare not being able to watch movies anymore.. for 1 week now.

Thanks in advance for your help

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 19th, 2012 05:00

I have a Dell C510/610 laptop, which is now giving sound problems.

Hello. What kind of audio problems were you having? Perhaps the audio hardware was failing.

a message apears saying i dont have a mixer device available.

To rule out a problem with Windows:

> Go to Start>Run and type "services.msc" (without quotes) then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Confirm that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running.

> Go into the Device Manager and check that 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator' is installed and running. It will be listed alphabetically if there.

> Search' for sndvol32. It should be in C:\I386 and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Go to  Start/Search and type in sndvol32.exe.

As you say your model is very old and I have never seen much about it in all of the 8 years I have been on this discussion board. One person left instructions for how to re-install the original windows audio driver instead of the Dell supplied one. The instructions are for a different model but one that uses the same Crystal driver as yours. Forum member Kamika007z wrote, "If you ever upgraded the drivers from Dell downloads and try uninstalling it, there's no way of gettting the older drivers back. What happens is that the file wdma_int.inf in the c:\windows\inf\ hidden directory is deleted upon upgrading the newer drivers. Go here for the appropriate fix."

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6349

There is a zip file there that contains 2 small files. Kamika007z wrote" "Download the zip File below and extract the files into your C:\Windows\INF folder and let Windows redetect your sound card" and install an audio driver. I think he means that Windows will install the generic Intel AC97 audio driver that is built into Windows, not the Dell-supplied Crystal driver.  But note that if there is some other reason the audio hardware cannot be detected then this fix will not work.

No Events found!