Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2011 22:00

Dell N5010 inspiron Battery (plugged in , not charging)

Hi everyone

i recently purchased DELL N5010 INSPIRON, but now it give one problem. It is not run without AC power. and when i point the battery through mouse it show

"17% available (Plugged in, Not Charging).

and battry light flashing 4 times with orange light after a second. It is the bug or any hardware problem, becuase the bettery may be only 2 month old.

I search on the web, but found fake solution which is not applying to solve it.

If any one have a solution then i appreciated it before solving this one.

Thanks and Appreciated in Advace.

Haq Nawaz

1 Message

February 22nd, 2013 10:00

WOW... thanks friend...solution from you did wonders...

My battery is now charging again.

1 Message

May 28th, 2013 09:00

Good advice, I just took battery out, blew on connectors and it has started charging again!

1 Message

August 5th, 2013 08:00

I just had the same problem as well. But it turns out if there are any power anomalies going on, the board kicks on a fail-safe and shuts down power from the battery. If you turn the laptop off, remove the battery and power-cycle the machine by holding down the on/off button +/- 30 sec, it will reset the failsafe and you can isolate the problem as either battery, terminal, board, or adapter.

August 27th, 2013 18:00

"Battery plugged in not charging" is the most common annoying issue from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. and nobody stepped up to address or resolve these simple issue. Dell suggested me to get a new battery, new battery did not help. Motherboard replacement is too expensive and we ended up to plug it in all the time.  I researched these issue but really get no answer.

Instead of wasting money on repair, replace, or buy new laptop, we ended up to use Apple iPAD and never go back. Hopefully, vendors start to recognize and take responsibility. Respectfully yours.

August 28th, 2013 16:00

After many different trials from firmware upgrade to basic maintenance, I decided to replace the battery for economic reason.  Dell Inspiron laptop is charging now but the new battery would not last long. Fully charged battery draining so fast within half an hour.

New "Consider replacing battery" error is really a joke and tease from my laptop.  

Another heat issue: the Dell Inspiron laptop would shut itself down if I playing video for 2 long. The heat is getting hot because poor air circulation at the bottom. 

We hardly use laptop and barely utilize for my kid to watch YouTube. 

September 6th, 2013 02:00

Is there any expert on Dell's forum to resolve a basic issues?  I am desperately need your help. Thanks

2 Posts

July 16th, 2014 03:00

Hi! I have the same N5010 that you are discussing before...and view days before it become the same problem as you. I've tray all was possible theoretical point of view but was for nothing...didn't work. Last solution was to take out the AC adaptor form electrical outlet and to let to drain the power from AC adaptor and battery till the laptop shut down by himself . After that I take out the battery for 1-2 min and put back into the laptop , insert again the AC adaptor into the power outlet and the DC cable into the laptop and start . This time ...immediately the LED form charging become light... For me this was the single procedure that succeed. Good luck!

2 Posts

July 16th, 2014 04:00

I wand to make the specification that my laptop battery N5010 is the original one and I bought this laptop in feb.2012...and battery still sustain alone the lap around 3 hours. "Plugged in , not charging" means not necessary that the battery has some problem....can be only some electrical bug. Have a good day!

1 Message

September 24th, 2014 05:00

Friend of mine had similar problem. And it was actually the charger. If it's squared like small brick it does not want to charge, after using mine charger that is more like flat it was charging normally. Try with a new type of charger if you haven't till now.  like this kind of charger http://www.adapterkiosk.nl/userfiles/products/middle/originele-dell-pa-3e-slim-line-46.jpg

1 Message

December 21st, 2014 01:00

If the battery is removed from the system, it will still work with the AC adapter plugged in. Incase its not working, please follow the below Steps to release static\flea power from the system.

1. Power the system down.
2. Remove all external devices and disconnect AC adapter power cable from the system if applicable.
3. Remove the battery from the system.
4. Hold down the power button continuously for at least 10 seconds. Do not release the power button during this process. (Release the power button after 10 seconds)
5. Connect the AC adapter back to the system and don’t insert the battery back to the system.
6. Power the system on.

If the battery still can't work,you have to buy a new battery,
This is a great way to save money in the long run and a good investment as well.
http://www.eachbattery.com/

2 Posts

May 17th, 2016 19:00

yip - bent center pin (must be sense pin) and charger is recognized by system and battery is charging again.
I had tripped on the power cable a couple days ago and that seems to be when the problem started. I have another power adapter around somewhere -will locate it or buy a new one (or simply replace the connector if it's available).
I know this is four years old but thank you for the info!

No Events found!