Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2017 01:00

Dell Precision M4700 Mobile Workstation Alps Touchpad Not Working After Windows 10 Update

Alps driver does not show up in the device manager even though the hardware is installed.

Two error messages appear during OS bootup:

"Alps setmouse monitor error" X 2 error message boxes.

External mouse is the only way to access mouse control.

Use of Dell update system does find drivers, I install the drivers and still no touch pad after installation and reboot. Same error after installation and reboot.

Anyone know the problem or how to repair?

July 23rd, 2017 02:00

Hi Magisterludiv,

Please check and confirm if the system BIOS is updated to latest, if not please update from support.dell.com under drivers and downloads BIOS section. As you have already updated the drivers and it didn't make any different, try booting to safe mode with networking and check if the touchpad works.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

July 23rd, 2017 17:00

I have the most current bios version, all drivers are up to date and the touchpad does not work in safe mode with networking either.

I respectfully would not want to provide private information such as my email or my service tag information.

July 24th, 2017 02:00

Alright you can always click on my user name and send me a private message. As you don't want to provide the system service tag please tell us if the system is in warranty.

July 24th, 2017 12:00

I have many dell pcs, not sure if this one is under warranty.

Not sure that warranty is relevant. Device worked correctly until windows 10 forced upgrade from windows 7. (Microsoft has let me down).

July 24th, 2017 12:00

I'm looking for answers to my question about the problem with windows 10 drivers for the Alps touchpad.

Why all the irrelevant questions?

May we please stick to answering the question about Alps touchpad not functioning.

Private emails are not in the works nor is handing over my private information.

That is why I am on a "public" forum.

So, I reiterate... does anyone know why the windows 10 drivers do not install correctly on my windows 10 Precision M4700 laptop?

Does anyone know why my Alps touchpad does not show up in the device manager after I upgraded to windows 10?

July 25th, 2017 03:00

The reason we are asking for the service tag is to help you with the accurate drivers for the system you have. From your conversation i understand that the touchpad stopped working after windows 10 updates. Hence please try the link to download the driver for touchpad for M4700.

www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

July 25th, 2017 10:00

I had already installed the latest drivers before my first posting on the 23rd (which I obtained from the Dell Driver's Web Page).

The hardware itself (The Alp's Touchpad) does not appear in the control panel's Device Manager either before or after installing the drivers that you mention.

July 26th, 2017 05:00

If the system is in warranty then we can have it replaced. If not please reach out our @dellCaresPro team we can help raise quotation for the touchpad.

July 27th, 2017 21:00

The hardware works just fine. No warranty repair is necessary.

The Alps driver for windows 10 must be the culprit.

July 30th, 2017 07:00

Please try with a downgraded operating system and check if the touchpad is working.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 11:00

I have similar problem. Hardware diagnosis came out OK.  Out of warranty though.

August 1st, 2017 17:00

Dell is behind the development curve for updating to windows 10. Support is abysmal.

No Events found!