Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2014 13:00

Dell Precision M4800 LCD display changing contrast in battery mode

Hello everyone, the LCD screen of my Dell Precision M4800 changes continuously contrast (based on what is on screen) when in battery mode. I work with photos and graphics and this behaviour is unacceptable.

Serching on this forum I found causes and solutions, but none actually works for me.

Causes (found on this forum):

- The problem seems to be caused by a Dell Laptop display behaviour (in fact I can't see this issue on my girlfriend other-brand laptop running the same Win 8.1 os)

- The problem seems to be related to power saving management (it shows up only in battery mode)

Solutions (none works for me):

- Disabling Display Power Management in the Intel Graphics properties solve the issue (this is indeed true, but I disabled in the bios the Video card switch because I want to use only the nVidia Quadro K1100, so this solution doesn't apply to my case).

- There should be an option somewhere to disabling a feature called "Dell Intelligent Display" that seems to cause this issue, but I can't find it anywhere (it should be in the Dell Power Management but I can't find it!)

I need help because I can't work with my Dell workstation in battery mode due to this really bad issue.

Max

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 18th, 2014 14:00

Normally you should not disable the bios video switch. The video automatically chooses the correct video card according to usage. Try switching it back before making changes.

Here's some info on Intelligent Display-- https://communities.intel.com/thread/43821  Note the Adaptive Contrast Enhancement tip. Maybe worth a try. If you are under warranty contact Dell Support for more help. 

29 Posts

October 25th, 2014 15:00

This is the effect of “adaptive brightness” enabled in advanced power settings, under ‘display’.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Just disable it, and you should be fine.

No Events found!