Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2011 04:00

Dell Precision M6600, Optimus and DVI/Displayport not initialed at boot time

Hello Dell

yesterday my new Dell Precision M6600 was delivered, with 2 Dell U2711 Displays and the Advanced E/Port-Replikator.

After i connect the Displays to the Portreplicator and i start the Precision, there is no Picture on the U2711 Screens. After the PC was booted completly, i got a the first Picture with the Login dialog from Windows 7.

After talking a while with the Dell Support, we find the Problem. The Bios don't enable the Displayports if NVidia Optimius is enabled. With this Option you have no way to go to Bios, to see the Boot Manager (for Windows or Linux), you can not Start in Save Mode (in Save Mode the Nvidia Driver will not loaded and you have no screen, because the Displayports are dead/disabled allready)

Please enable in Docked Mode or/and in a Mode with Power Supply the Displayports and DVI Ports at Startup. Without that the Optimus Feature is useless with big Screens.

With Big screens you have to use the Displayports, because the DVI on the Docking Station is NOT a dual Link one, the maxium Resolution on DVI is 1600x1200 and not the correct one of 2560x1440.

I hope this Problem will be fixed soon, the workingplace for 5.000 Euro or 7.000U$ can not have this kind of kid problems.

kind regard

Alex

August 26th, 2011 01:00

After the Workstation go to standby i don't have any picture if the pc wake up, i have to turn off and turn on my screens if optimus is enabled.

this is not a acceptable solution.

the most time i have troubles with optimus, so it can be only a design mistake and Dell and/or Nvidia must find a solution for this kind of problems.

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Is there any news about the problem, working as design sounds like a design mistake and dell (this is my delivering comany) has to fix this problem, i don't have any contact to nvidia, its dell job to fix the problem with or without nvidia!

3 Posts

October 17th, 2011 21:00

Biricon,

I have been following your unfortunate difficulty, waiting to see if more info appears.  Did you try Dell's recommendation to turn off Optimus in BIOS?  Did that change allow you to hot-dock to your U2711's without errors?  

Sorry to read of your problem. 

October 18th, 2011 05:00

Hi Magnum2

yes, this will be work most the time. Only of one or both of the Z2711 is handing up, i don't have a screen, but this is a U2711 problem and not a problem if the M6600.

The U2711 has one time in month the problem, that the display is hanging up and the LED is blue, but you can not use the keys anymore. only a disconnect from power bring it back to live.

i think we are all beta testers and noone cares about this problems - where was gone the good old quality from dell from the last 10 years ago?

3 Posts

October 19th, 2011 13:00

Biricon,

Thanks for the reply. I have been considering the purchase of a M6600 and a U2711. What have you found to be the best way for this laptop and monitor to coexist?

I thought it might be better to order the M6600 with the AMD graphics instead of the NVIDIA with Optimus. However, if I understand correctly, NVIDIA will provide 2560 x 1440 when docking to U2711 if: (a) Optimus is turned off in BIOS; or (b) If Optimus is on, then docking should be performed while the laptop running, so the video port will have power.  Is this correct?

Another question. You write: “but this is a U2711 problem and not a problem if the M6600.” Is this a problem of the U2711 going into sleep mode, and the monitor must be powered down & up to restore operation?  Is there a way to disable the sleep mode in the U2711 to avoid this problem?

Am I missing any issues that I might want to consider before purchase?  Does connection of the M6600 directly to the U2711 (no docking station) eliminate any of these problems?

Thanks in advance.

October 21st, 2011 02:00

The M6600 and the U2711 will be a good choice if you don't use Optimus. With the AMD graphics i don't know how this works. But in docked Mode it runs good if you turn off Optimus. After you Dock off, you have to turn on Optimus, otherwise the batterie livetime is not more than 1 hour. On the AMD Solution, i don't know how long the batterie livetime will be, but on the dell page is a technical paper, about 6 monitors that you can connected at the same time.

For me is the batterie time importend in mobile environment and the the 2xU2711 in docked one. This switching every time is very horrible for me ...

without docking station you are not able to get the full resolution of the U2711 screen. The internal connectors can only make a fullHD 1080p resolution, without dockingstation the image will look very pure. So you need the Dockingstation with DisplayPort.

In my case the U2711 and the M6600 will not syncronise every time afters come back from sleep mode. But one of my U2711 will hanging up after Sleep Mode and if i Push the Power Button, the sceen makes a endlos pppiiieeepppp, in this case you can only disconnect the power from the U2711. the other screen don't makes this pppiieeepp problem.

1 Message

November 15th, 2011 06:00

I just purchased an M4600 with the NVidia 2000M. I racked my head trying to get video out of the either the DVI or the Display Port connectors during BIOS post. Since this is a laptop I have a system password enabled, so every time it boots you have to enter a password before it will boot up. The problem is that with Optimus enabled, I don't see the password prompt through DVI or Display port, only VGA.

Why did I spend so much money on a laptop that won't even work to display the password prompt during POST?

It should be easy for them to configure the BIOS to disable Optimus during the BIOS POST and then once the BIOS has completed, it could then switch over to Optimus technology. How was this missed during the testing of these systems. This should have been very obvious during any thorough testing before moving something into production.

Now I am forced to use VGA on my $3500 laptop. This is absolutely ridiculous.

DELL, FIX THIS ISSUE. YOU CAN BLAME NVIDIA ALL YOU WANT, BUT THIS IS YOUR PRODUCT, WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS, SO THIS IS YOUR ISSUE TO RESOLVE.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2011 14:00

With all of my other Dell laptops I can dock and then power up using the external monitors to login to my CheckPoint software and then on to Windows. The 6420 is the only model that requires me to lift the lid to get past the CheckPoint login before a signal is sent to the external monitors. I am unable to use a laptop monitor stand for any of my users, since the lid has to be lifted first.

In speaking with support, they suggested updating the bios to A07, which I did along with the latest Nvida driver but still don't have an external monitor signal until Windows loads. I find it unbelievable that Dell can not fix this problem with an update of some sorts. And before you tell me it was designed to work this way, I am calling that a nonesense answer! No way do they expect people to buy monitor stands for laptops that can't be used with this model!

We want a solution to this problem!

November 25th, 2011 03:00

Please check the Servicepage at your Maschines, on every maschine and check if the servicecall is open any more.

on my m6600 the servicecall is deleted from the servicepage. this is not ok, so please call the technical support and told them, that this problem must be open and sould only closed if they have a successfull solution for this problem!

support.euro.dell.com/.../search.aspx

1 Message

December 8th, 2011 14:00

I have the same problem and want you to solve it as soon as possible, Dell!

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 03:00

We've got a number of Latitude e6420 with this issue and we've stopped purchasing these machines. Waiting for an answer Dell.

67 Posts

February 4th, 2012 10:00

I assume this was never solved? I just received a new Latitude E6520, it has the latest BIOS and the same "when docked no-video problem until the Windows 7 login screen" as described here for the Precision .

February 4th, 2012 12:00

correct, the problem was not solved .. dell offers me only a cash back :(

4 Posts

February 6th, 2012 12:00

Cash back, really? What I need for my organization are laptops that work properly. I was hoping for a trade in option, when a model is released that solves this problem!

I am not buying any more Dell laptops until that time and I actually need some right now!

Come on Dell, show us that you are listening!

1 Message

February 12th, 2012 19:00

I have been considering purchasing a U2711 to use with my M6600 while docked with 2 smaller monitors side by side, judging by this thread its not possible with the E-port plus dock.

Why would you design a dock with so many display output options but then limit it to only 2? If this is "working as intended" im interested to know the reasoning behind this. It maybe possible to run extra monitors but if you have to change BIOS settings everytime you dock and undock, this is really a joke.

As a result I wont be purchasing a U2711 until there is a fix for this, and considering the lack of action by Dell on this, I doubt Id buy another Dell product.

Come on dell, is the email you sent me titled "You speak, we listen" just marketing hype or do you understand the importance of keeping return customers? Lets see some action if you do.

No Events found!