Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2016 12:00

Dell Studio 1458 - What am i missing?

I have a Dell Studio 1458 and a while back it started locking up with no warning and no error messages after. I'll be working away and everything will freeze and a few seconds later, the fan will kick on loud. I've had it tested for overheating, had the heatsink re-applied, and replaced the hard drive - which helped for a while. When I did this, I also upgraded to BIOS A07 and restored everything from scratch.

About a month later, it's back again but I have a new clue. When I run the Dell Pre Boot Assessment Test, it locks up every time at the Memory Test. Literally locks up. Doesn't give an error message or allow me to exit - I have to power down with the button. Every time I restart the laptop, it's fine again. It doesn't recognize there was an issue and there are no events logged or dump files created. I recently replaced the memory and it has not made any change at all so I'm at a loss. What would be causing the periodic freezes, not recording any events and locking up the memory test on the Pre Boot Assessment Test every time?? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 18th, 2016 13:00

Possibly a motherboard failure. Since this is an older computer, consider replacing it rather than spending any money on it. Run online tests here-

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

If you have upgraded to Windows 10, reinstall your previous Windows OS.

November 19th, 2016 17:00

Greetings,

We need to test the memory. If system has two memory modules. Run test with one memory module and check if ePSA freezes.

If system only one memory module, test with known good memory module to check if other components are working fine.

Memory module is a customer replaceable unit. Click on this link: http://dell.to/2g614Pp to open the service manual and follow the instructions under page 31 to reseat memory modules.

No Events found!